Bio: Warren, George P.
Contact: Janet Schwarze

---Source: 1881 History of Northern Wisconsin, pg. 219-220.


GEORGE P. WARREN, farmer, Chippewa Falls, was born on Madeline Island, Lake Superior, at the old fort of Lapointe, Aug. 10, 1823. His father died when George was about two years of age, and he was left at Mackinac Mission, Mich., with three brothers. He remained at the mission about two years, when, with his brothers, he was returned to Lapointe. In the Summer of 1837, George, with his twin brother, was taken, via lakes and canal, to Brockport, and thence to Clarkson, N. Y. In the Fall of that year they were taken to Whitesboro', Oneida Co. and were placed in the Oneida Institute, or Manual Labor School. There he entered the printing office connected with the Institute, and remained until March, 1841. He then found employment on the Rochester Democrat, Thomas H. Hyatt, editor. His eye-sight becoming much impaired, he left the Democrat July 13, of that year, much disgusted with the world, without any destination in view, nor caring where he went. He brought up in Cleveland and entered a printing office, but was obliged to soon quit it on account of his eye-sight. He then enlisted as a canal-driver on a boat plying between Cleveland and Portsmouth, Ohio, and continued until the close of navigation. He then went to St. Louis and shipped as second steward on the steamer "Pre-emption," making regular trips between St. Louis and New Orleans, where he remained until April, 1842. He then by boat ascended the Mississippi and the Chippewa Rivers, and arrived at Chippewa Falls on the first day of May. He had contracted malarial fever and was suffering from dumb ague. The magnificent falls of Chippewa River was there, but there was no Chippewa Falls, He soon joined a party on a trip to Lake Superior, their outfit consisting of a few blankets, a small stock of provisions, and three birch-bark canoes. They poled up the Chippewa River, portaging around the several falls, until they reached the junction of the Lac Courte Ouriells (Lake Coter Ray), when they ascended that river to Lac Courte Ouriells, through Grindstone Lake, till they reached the Na-ma-ka-gan River, making several portages from lake to lake. Up the Na-ma-ka-gan River to Long Lake by portage, and then by portage over the highland dividing the waters of the Mississippi and Lake Superior. On the Divide he got a magical divorce from the ague, without the use of medicine, and he has never had a return of the disease since. They descended a river then known as the Little Pike, and at the outlet of Bad River they were upon the borders of the great lake, near the scene of his childhood and youth, and after an absence of five years. George's father, Truman Warren, was born in Vermont, March 12, 1800, and, as seen by the genealogy of the Watren family, was a descendent of General Joseph Warren, of revolutionary fame. His mother, Charlotte (Cadott) Warren, was the daughter of Michael Cadott, a learned Frenchman, who was fitted for the priesthood; but, his health failing, he was sent on a voyage from Montreal to Lake Superior for his health, in company with a party of the old French voyagers. He regained his health and became fascinated with the life, and never returned home, but married an Indian woman; and in his old age planted a mission on the beautiful Madeline Island, and there peacefully passed away in 1785, loved and honored by both whites and Indians, and a prominent figure in early History of the Northwestern Territory. Mr. Warren was married on the 15th day of Dec, 1862, to Mrs. Rosalie Truckey. Her parents. Lovison and Angelique Desmaris, were both of mixed French and Indian blood, who came to Chippewa Falls in 1821 and opened a trading post with the Indians. Their early lives were spent around Lake Superior. Selkirk settlement and Yellowstone River, trading with the Indians and Mormons. Mr. Warren enlisted in United States service at Chippewa Falls in March, 1864, entering Co. K, 36th Reg. Wis. V. I. The regiment reached Washington on the I4lh day of May; proceeded down the Potomac, and disembarked at Bellplaine,and the next day marched to Spottsylvania, via Fredericksburg, and on the 19th joined 18t Brigade, 2d Division, 2d Army Corps, commanded by General Hancock. On the 30th they crossed the Pamunkey, where the rebels were drawn up in line of battle in a dense wood, in front of an open field. On the 18t of June they had a severe engagement along the whole line, and it was found necessary to make vigorous charges in front of the 18t Brigade, to prevent the enemy from reinforcing their left. Companies B, E, F and G were ordered forward as skirmishers, forming a part of the line which was to advance. The flank line, composed of veterans, advanced a few rods, fired, and retreated behind the works, leaving these four companies to advance without support. The result was, that out of the raw but brave 240 who advanced, more than one half were killed and wounded, or taken prisoners. During the night the regiment advanced to Cold Harbor, and at S o'clock, A. M., on the 3d, advanced on the enemy by brigades and massed by regiments. The 36th took the lead in the brigade, and lost 64 in killed, and 126 in wounded, many of them severely. George Warren was shot through the left lung, shattering the left shoulder blade terribly, He went to the rear and was helped to the field-hospital, and for a time abandoned to die, as it was supposed he could not live, but he subsequently recovered, and was discharged from Emory United States General Hospital, on the nth of March, 1865.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel