History: 1913 Stanley, WI Saw Mill
Contact: History Buffs
Surnames: Frandry, Sneen
1913 Stanley, Chippewa County, Wisconsin Saw Mill
This sawmill is the Northwestern Lumber Co. mill built in 1891. The first log was cut on Dec. 31,1891, the last one was cut by Sever Sneen on Sept. 14, 1920. The last log drive was in 1902. The logs were then brought in by rail on the S. M. & P., which was built in 1892. The railroad ran across the millpond, the trains would dump their logs in to soak. The mill was located on the East side of the pond (Fandry's Park), along with the S. M. & P. roundhouse just north of the sawmill. The general supply office was on the site of the Isaacs Implement Co. The horse barns were east of the mill. The office is the site of the Luggage Factory. The company store was east of the office, on the north end of Broadway. The planing mill, the loading platforms, and the lath piles were on the south side of Fourth Ave. Huge piles of sawed lumber were south of the pond. This info was found in the Stanley centennial book from 1981.--Alan Gurtner
Birdseye View of Stanley, Chippewa Co., WI (ca. 1910)
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs