Obit: Wiggen, John P. (1864 - 1942)
Surnames: Wiggen, Romstad, Overlien, Hansen, Peterson, Pierow, Carlson, Graver
Scrapbook Collection of Duane Horn
Wiggen, John P. (24 Apr. 1864 – 20 Aug. 1942)
John P. Wiggen was born April 24, 1864, in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. He was the son of Engebert and Carrie Wiggen. In 1880 the Wiggen family came to America and to Rudd's Mill in Jackson county. In 1890 the subject of this obituary settled in the town of Albion and in 1898 he moved to the farm where he later lived and passed away.
As a youth the young man spent the winters in the logging camps, and his summers on the farm. He was a noted teamster and an expert at handling four-horse teams. During the past 35 years he devoted his time entirely to his farm. He was an industrious man, a kind husband, a considerate father, a good neighbor, and upright, honest citizen.
On October 29, 1891, he was married to Julia Peterson, at Black River Falls. To them were born four stalwart sons, all surviving: Ervin, Bernie, Myron and John. They are a comfort and consolation to their loving mother sho deeply mourns the passing of her mate for more than a half century.
The funeral services were conducted at the home and at the Little Norway church of which he was a member. The Rev. A. M. Romstad was the officiating minister, and, accompanied by Miss Irene Overlien, sang "Den Stove Hvide Flok", and Albert Hansen, accompanied by Mrs. Hansen, sang "Beautiful Isle of Somewhere." A large concourse of friends attended the services. Interment was in the churchyard cemetery.
Six nephews acted as Pall bearers; Bert, Casper and Fred Wiggen, Merlin, Price and Raymond Peterson. The flowers were in charge of Misses Esther, Carrol and Marion Peterson.
Three sisters, Mrs. Theresa Pierow, Owasso, Mich., Mrs. Mary Carlson and Mrs. Oliver Graver, both of Duluth, Minn., were unable to attend the funeral.
The sympathy of the community is extended to Mrs. Wiggin and her sons.
*** Note: His date of death is from his wife’s obituary.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs