Obit: Hansen, Richard A. (1913 - 1977)
Contact: Ken Wood
Surnames: Hansen, Messerschmidt, Seehafer, Back, Stelzl, Rausch
----Source: Marshfield News Herald, Marshfield, Wood Co., WI, Fri., 8 Apr. 1977
Hansen, Richard A. (21 Mar. 1913 - 7 Apr. 1977)
Richard A. Hansen, who with his twin brother, the late Harlowe J. Hansen, owned and operated the Hansen Funeral Home here, for many years, died at 3:30 p.m. Thur. at St. Joseph’s Hospital. Mr. Hansen, 64, resided at 200 W. Third St.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. Mon. at Immanuel Lutheran Church, with the Rev. Eldore F. Messerschmidt, pastor, officiating. Committal rites will be at the Vaughan-Hansen Memorial Chapel, with burial to follow in Hillside Cemetery.
Visitations may be made at the Hansen Chapel from 2-9 p.m. Sun. and until 9:30 a.m. Mon. and also at the church after 10 a.m. Mon..
Richard A. Hansen was born March 21, 1913, in Chicago, the son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Vinton Hansen, who came to Marshfield with their family in 1914.
After attending Marshfield schools and graduating from the former McKinley High School in 1931, the twin brothers prepared for their professional career at Worsham College of Embalming in Chicago, from which they were graduated in 1934.
The Seehafer-Hansen Funeral Home was founded in 1923 by the late Alvin J. Hansen and the late M. E. Seehafer, and the firm became the Hansen Funeral Home following the death of Mr. Seehafer in 1947. The elder Hansen then assumed the business in its entirety.
Richard and Harlowe Hansen, nephews of one of the founders, began working with the firm in 1932, and became partners in the business after they returned from World War II military service. In 1957, the elder Hansen sold his interest in the funeral home to his nephews.
The business since 1973 has operated as a corporation with Melvin H. Back, a former Wisconsin Rapids resident, being named president. As senior members of the firm, the late Harlowe J. Hansen was named vice president, and Richard became secretary treasurer. Mr. Back, now one of the owners of the enterprise, joined the firm in 1968 as a licensed mortician and part owner.
In 1955 a large remodeling project was begun at the Hansen Funeral Home, which included a new chapel, large family room, attractive foyer and other rooms such as a new electric organ room, women’s powder room, office and flower room. Carpeting also changed the floors of most of the rooms, and the exterior walls were sided in a type of Lannon stone. In 1952, a three-car, concrete block garage was added.
The Hansen twins followed military careers as identical as their business career as they were themselves. They enlisted together in February 1942 and served together throughout their service in the Army. They went first to Camp Grant and then to Chanute Field, IL, where they served in the Medical Corps as assistants to flight surgeons. In January 1945, the twins were sent to Camp Maxey, TX, and from there to Fort Meade, MD for shipment overseas. They landed at Le Havre, France, and from there went to Frankenthal, Germany, to be assigned to the 42nd Rainbow Division in a regimental aid station.
They served with the 222nd regiment throughout the campaign in Germany. On Jan. 5, 1946, they received their discharge at Ft. Sheridan, IL. The twins were then entitled to wear the E.T.O. Ribbon with two battle stars, the Victory Ribbon, American Defense Ribbon, the combat Medical Badge and the Good conduct Medal with one Cluster.
Richard was a member of the Wisconsin Funeral Directors Association and a member and past president of the Wisconsin Valley Funeral Directors Association. He was a member of Immanuel Lutheran Church, member and past president of the Marshfield Rotary Club, member and past commander of the American Legion Post 54, and member of the United Commercial Travelers, Veterans of Foreign Wars and 40 et 8.
Richard is survived by his wife, the former Adeline Stelzl, whom he married Aug. 31, 1952, at Immanuel Lutheran Church. His twin brother preceded him in death May 14, 1974.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs