Bio: Emerson, Morris
Contact: Stan

----Source: Clark Co., Wis. History Buffs' Research

Surnames: Emerson, Morris


Morris Emerson

Greenwood, Clark County, Wisconsin



Morris Emerson, 1937


Morris Emerson was born 10 April, 1906 and died in June of 1980 in Alma Center, Jackson Co., WI. His Social Security number was: 388-32-5218. 


He belonged to the Methodist Church in Greenwood, Wisconsin.


April 10, 1937, Morris Emerson Opened his New Red And White Store in Greenwood, Clark County, Wisconsin.  He sent out circulars to the community offering real bargains for that day.


He bought the Cox building, once known as the Oelig building, and completely remodeled the building into a fine looking Red & White Store. In order to have a real modern store, Mr. Emerson put a new front on the building.


Red & White Stores were operated by a group of retail merchants who over a period of years who had been competing with corporate owned chains.  They successfully lowered prices to their customers and at the same time sold quality merchandise. Because of that affiliation, Mr. Emerson was able to take advantage of a large buying power that he could not have enjoyed without belonging to Red & White Stores. The modern methods put into effect by Red & White Stores were pleasing to the local folks and made them realize he was making a very sincere attempt to give them better service and lower prices. The advantage of this international buying power was of special interest to the people of Greenwood.


As to quality, a further explanation was made that over 90 Red & White food products were tested and approved by the testing laboratories of Good Housekeeping Institute. This meant that these products were guaranteed to be the finest available.


One of the outstanding items sold only by Red & White Stores was Mello Cup coffee. On opening day, the Red & White Stores field man was at the Emerson Cash Store to serve the famous Mello cup Coffee and help the Emersons with their grand opening.


Morris Emerson belonged to the prestigious Greenwood Commercial Club and was present for the Banquet held in honor of the unveiling of the Peace Monument given to the city by Ernest Durig in 1937. 


  • Store Opening




    © Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


    Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


    Become a Clark County History Buff


    Report Broken Links

    A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
    and supported by your generous donations.


    Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

    Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

    Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel