Bio: Ezra Adolph Beeckler (1854 - ?)
Surnames: JACKISCH, DOUGLAS, BEECKLER
----Source: 1918 History of Clark Co., WI, by Franklyn, Curtiss-Wedge
Ezra Adolph Beeckler.
Mr. Beeckler was born in Canada in 1854. He came with his parents to Sheboygan, Wisconsin, when quite young, where he lived until 1878. While there he was engaged in studying and practicing telegraphy, and later in teaching school. He taught five years in Sheboygan County, at the end of which time he came to Clark County, and has since resided in the town of Lynn. He has paid some attention to farming since there, but has been engaged chiefly in teaching school. He has been very successful as a teacher, having taught many terms in the village of Lynn, near which his farm is located. He is now justice of the peace in the village, and was appointed census enumerator for his town, and the adjoining town of Grant, this year. "Clark County Illustrated" by Saterlee, Tifft and Marsh; 1890.
EZRA ADOLPH BEECKLER, a well-known and respected resident of Grant Township, whose well improved farm is located near the village of Granton, was born in Westminster, Canada, April 26, 1854, a son of Alexander and Theresa (Douglas) Beeckler. His paternal grandfather was John Beeckler, a son of Alexander Beeckler, who, in a Civil War that occurred in Holland during the time of the first Napoleon, saw his parents beheaded, he himself escaping to the United States. Alexander came of a good family, the name of which was originally spelled Bueekler, and he himself had received a good education under private tutors. Making their home in the state of New York, the family prospered in successive generations. Alexander Beeckler, the father of Ezra A., after marrying Theresa Douglas, moved to Canada, where, as already stated, Ezra was born. He then came to Sheboygan County, Wis., and there his family circle was enlarged by the birth of three more children--George, Charles and Kate.
From Sheboygan County the Beeckler family came to Lynn Township, Clark County, locating on a tract of wild land, on which Alexander built a log cabin and began pioneer farming with the usual ox team. There he spent the rest of his life. He and his wife had ton children: Martha, John, Ruth, Julia, Frank George, Charles, Catherine (usually called Kate), Ezra and Lucy. Ezra, A. Beeckler, in his boyhood, attended a small wooden schoolhouse in Lynn Township, and afterwards the stone schoolhouse familiarly known as the "Little Stone Jug," in which two emporiums of learning he wrestled five days a week with the "three R's," reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic. Of these and other branches of knowledge he obtained such mastery that in time he himself became a schoolmaster, following the occupation of a teacher for twenty years, in Sheboygan, Clark, McLeod and Wood counties.
In Clark County he taught in the townships of Lynn, Grant, Longwood, Easton and York, including the two room Windfall school of Granton. He finally located on his present farm near Granton village, where he has a comfortable home, and raises good stock. He has also taken an active part local affairs, among other things having been one of the organizers of the co-operative creamery, and having taken a leading part in securing the erection of the four room graded school of Granton, which is equipped with a library. He has also held both school and township office. At the age of 14 he joined the Good Templar's movement, and has since affiliated himself with several of the best known fraternal societies, including the Odd Fellows, Woodmen, Mystic Workers and Masons, in which last mentioned order he had advanced as far as the Chapter, being a Royal Arch Mason. Ezra A.
Beeckler was married to Amelia Jackisch, daughter of john Rudolph and Amelia Jackisch, who came from Germany to Clark County, Wis., about 1858, locating on a farm in Lynn Township. Of this marriage ten children have been born: George, Bessie, Pearl and Price (twins), Theresa, Benjamin, Vera, Haidee, Rex and Daphne. All these children are well educated and most of them have been teachers.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs