Bio: Morrison, William (History - 1850)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
Surnames: MORRISON MCINTYRE
----Source: 1891 History
of Clark and Jackson Co., Wisconsin, pg. 347
The Wisconsin Furniture Co., Neillsville, WI
WILLIAM MORRISON, superintendent of the Neillsville Manufacturing Company, Neillsville, Wisconsin, came to this city in 1889, to superintend the building and running of this furniture factory. The size of the building is 136 x 128 feet, four stories high, with an L sixty-four feet wide. They employ 400 men. The first order for goods was from England for a large amount, and at present they are filling this order. The mill commenced operation this spring they have a 250-horse-power steam engine, and a 70-horse-power engine for the sawmill, which they run in connection with the factory. The latter is said to be the best in the world. Mr. Morrison made the plans for the building and from its commencement had the ground prepared, laid the foundation, and had it perfected after his own plans. He laid five heavy stone walls under the building, and the floors on each of the four rooms are made of 2 x 4 timber, set up edgeways, making the floor five inches thick. Each of the floors are separate, and in no way connected with each other from the inside of the building. The only way to reach the upper rooms is by means of a stairway outside of the building, leading to each room. They have an elevator built in the corner where the building forms an L, and which is so constructed that a wagon can receive or deliver goods from the elevator. The building is absolutely fire-proof, and contains the best machinery that can be purchased in the world. The rooms are heated with hot air driven through a large pipe into the building, and also have large fans connected to a furnace in an adjoining brick building. Their 250-horse power engine drives this large amount of machinery with an endless rope three-fourths of an inch in size. The engine-house to the main shaft of the factory is outside of the building. There is also a drying house in the rear of the engine-house, containing three large rooms, and in connection with each is a railroad track running to the lumberyard. After drying the lumber is taken to the factory, where all is made in the best manner, and the facilities for handling the same cannot be surpassed. They have a large galvanized pipe, thirty inches in diameter, running from the factory to the engine-house, and all dust and shaving are drawn through this to the latter house and used for fuel. Mr. Morrison has placed some machinery of his own device in this factory, which is very necessary and important.
There is not probably a better mechanic in the United States than Mr. Morrison, and the people of this city should be proud of this institution. He is a Scotch gentleman, born January 3, 1850, and was educated in his native land, where he also learned the furniture trade. Since the age of twenty-one he has always had care of some work has been an extensive traveler in India, China, Japan, and nearly all over the world. He married Miss Kate McIntyre, of Glasgow, Scotland, and they have a family of nine children: James, Jane, William, Alfred, David, Nellie, Kate, John and Asa. Mr. Morrison is a worthy gentleman, and is respected by all who know him.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs