News: Granton Locals (12 Oct 1917)


Surnames: Gerzemehle, Handt, Wischuelke, Davis, Delassie, Brooks, Potter, Viergutz, Wage, Kimball, Huntzicker, Mortin, Qualley, Holway, Stockwell, Baer, Thayer, Kintzele, Thompson, Mallory, Angel, Bealer, Weishoff, Kemmeter, Berg, Benedict, Nehs, Barber, Jahr, Helm, Tompkins, Schroeder, Krause, Kissam, Cole, Garbush, Grady, Zorn, Coil, Lapp, Shepperd, Lowery, Rose, Dennis, Kidd, King, Bollom, Kihn, Hart, Agin, Wallace, Converse, Witt, Knorr, Nichols, Kelsey, Prange, Ross, Dankemyer, Lockman, Moh, Marek, Nadolski, Mitchell, Schlinsog, Tischer, Krause, Gardner, Dowling, Washburn, Drake, Johnson, Murphy, Devine, Cattanach, Hefty, Hoesley, Goebel, Garbush, Rath, Anderson, Breese, Braun, Schuelke, Huntley, Smith, Martin, Opelt, Pizer, Sniteman, Kaiser, Bond, Andersen, Thiede, Thayer, Hahm, Pischer, Rhead, Albrecht, Paulson, Rausch, Sternitzky, hasz, Johnson, Canfield, Pierce, Reichert, Groner, Crow, Winn, Tompkins

----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark County, Wis.) 10/12/1917

Chris Gerzemehle went to Neillsville Friday.

Paul Handt autoed to Marshfield Sunday.

Wm. Wischuelke was a county seat visitor Monday.

S.R. Davis spent Saturday with friends at Neillsville.

Miss Elsie Delassie spent Tuesday with friends at Marshfield.

Miss Pearl Brooks, with her sister Mrs. Wayne Potter, spent Saturday with friends at Marshfield.

Clark Brooks and Arthur Viergutz of Lynn autoed to Pittsville and Dexterville one day last week.

Miss Gladys Wage, who teaches at Longwood, spent the weekend here with home folks.

Miss Gertrude Kimball of Marshfield spent Sunday here at W.S. Davis'.

Miss Ruth huntzicker spent the weekend with her friends Miss Dorothea Mortin at Neillsville.

Fred Qualley of Deerfield, who visited his brother here on Route 4 last week, went home Saturday.

Wm. Holway of Madison and Miss Ethel Stockwell of Neillsville were guests of the Baers on Sunday.

Miss Josephine Thayer visited Miss Mildred Kintzele at Neillsville on Tuesday.

R.J. Thompson and family of Route 1 are leaving for Tacoma, Wash. yet this week.

Rev. Wilson Mallory returned from a several days business trip at Stanley on Tuesday.

Ruth Angel, after a 3 week visit with her sister Mrs. Herman Bealer, went home to Chili on Monday.

Henry Weishoff and family moved into the P.J. Kemmeter tenement house north of the track on Monday.

Earl Berg was a Neillsville visitor on Wednesday.

Perry Benedict was a Neillsville visitory on Wednesday.

Attorney Nehs of Neillsville was here on professional business on Wednesday.

Miss Eva Barber of Loyal is here with Mrs. Augusta Jahr since Tuesday.

The Carnation Art Club of Lynn met with Mrs. Chas. Helm on Wednesday.

Hale Davis has been appointed clerk of Granton Camp, M.W.A., in place of J.M. Tompkins, who resigned.

Master Edward Schroder of Rout 3 is slowly recovering from typhoid fever.

Joe Krause went to Eau Claire Saturday and accompanied his wife home from the hospital.

Everett Kissam of Madison is here since Saturday visiting his sister Mrs. Fred Cole and other relatives.

Mrs. Annie Garbush and son Harry of Neillsville came Saturday and visited relatives in Lynn until Monday evening.

Mrs. Grady of Madison, after a 5 day visit with her brother H.A. Qualley and family on Route 4, went home on Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Zorn sold a timbered 40 acre tract of land in Price Co. to a party living at Phillips last week.

Mrs. Walter Coil visited relatives at Chili Monday and was accompanied home by her niece, Lillian Lapp, that evening.

George Shepperd and sister Miss Grace Shepperd of Sabin, after a visit with Mr. and Mrs. Will Lowery, went home on Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. W.D. Rose autoed to Woodville Saturday and visited a Elmer Dennis' and returned home by auto Monday evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Lee Kidd left on the return trip to Los Angeles, Calif. on Monday evening.

P.J. Kemmeter left for Menasha and Milwaukee on business bent, last Tuesday.

Mrs. Geo. Kin is assisting with the millinery work at the Kemmeter store.

The Misses Gladys Wage and Birdine Kihn were Neillsville visitors on Saturday.

Mrs. Chas. Bollom and son Ellsworth and Lenore Hart were Neillsville visitors on Saturday.

Harry Davis, extras passenger brakeman on the Omaha Ry. Was on duty here on this branch, Monday.

Mr. and Mrs. H.S. Agin went to Waldo last Friday on a ten day visit among relatives and old friends.

Chas. Wallace, who was down on the Green Bay road late last week, came home by way of Merrillan on Saturday.

Mrs. Lillis Converse went to Eau Claire Wednesday to consult an eye specialist.

Mrs. Arthur C.F. Witt and little daughter Irma are home from a two week visit at Clintonville and Racine since Wednesday.

A.J. Knorr and daughter Myrtle autoed to Chilton Saturday and returned on Monday.

Mrs. Morton Nichols of Owen was the guests of her old friends, the Baers, Wednesday.

Mrs. Fred Hart, daughter Irene and sons Rose and Wayne, are visiting relatives at Humbird since Thursday.

Fred Cole has rented the Chas. Wilke estate farm southeast of Neillsville and took possession late last week.

Mrs. H.B. Kelsey and baby William of Iron Mountain, Mich., after a visit at Ed Delassie's, went home on Tuesday.

Herman Prange and son Morris, after an extended stay and visit between the Emil and Ed Prange families, went home to Sheboygan last Tuesday.

Arno Ross and Wm. Dankemyer, two of next week's bridegrooms, were Neillsville and Marshfield visitors on Tuesday.

Mrs. Lockman came over from Columbia Saturday on a visit to her son Ward Lockman and his family at the L.E. Moh farm.

Mrs. Rud Marek Jr. and her 3 children, after a visit at Rud Marek Sr.'s. on route 4, went home to Chicago on Saturday.

Miss Stella Nadolski of Neillsville, after a several days visit at Wm. Mitchell's on Route 3, went home on Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Schlinsog of Long Prairie, Minn., arrived here Wednesday on a visit to his brother, Aug. Schlinsog Sr.

Mr. and Mrs. August Tischer, after a visit between the Schlinsog, Tischer and Gerzemehle families, left for the home trip to Oklahoma on Monday.

Mrs. Joe Krause is home from the Eau Claire hospital since Saturday, and although mending nicely, is as yet under her physician's care and must needs be so, for several weeks yet.

Mr. and Mrs. Frank Gardner and their 8 year old daughter went to Eau Claire on Wednesday morning's train that the little lady, suffering with appendicitis, might enter Sacred Heart Hospital there and undergo an operation for relief.

The sixth Semi-Annual Holstein and Guernsey sale for Central Wisconsin was held at Marshfield Wednesday and had a large attendance of interested people from this vicinity.

Miss Florence Converse accompanied Mrs. G.W. Squires home to Madison Tuesday and will continue on and visit friends at Highland before returning here.

Miss Amelia Krause is home from Stevens Point since late last week and although somewhat weak, is again at her post of duty in the post office.

Mrs. F.A. Dowling of Millston, after a several days visit with her sister Mrs. R.T. Washburn at Lynn, went home on Thursday.

Mrs. Lila F. Drake Clark of St. Paul came Tuesday for a visit with the R.H. Davis family in Wood Co., 5 miles south of Lindsey.

Miss Jean Davis, who is attending Normal school at Eau Claire, came home Friday night and made an over Sunday visit.

Miss Sarah Mae Davis came home last Thursday, from Stratford, where she spent the past month with the A.M. Johnson family.

Mrs. G.F. Murphy went to Marshfield last week Thursday and met her mother Mrs. Devine at Cascade, who came up on a visit.

Miss Sarah Mae Davis accompanied her aunt Mrs. Chapel and her uncle Frank Davis, to Milwaukee Monday and will visit them int heir respective home, a couple of weeks.

Mrs. Harry Cattanch and three children of Necedah, after a visit to relatives in Nasonville, came Saturday for a visit at the John Hefty home on Route 1.

The $8.00 package of merchandise lost by Mrs. Melchior Hoesley and advertised for in these columns last week, was found by Mrs. Ed Ackerman, who promptly and courteously restored it to its owner.

Paul Goebel lost his right thumb through a wood sawing accident with a circle saw at the John Garbush farm Monday and carried the inured hand professional done up in a sling since.

Mrs. Fred Rath of Cataract visited her son Dr. Rath her this week, was summoned home Wednesday by news of the sudden illness of a grandson who was attending school at Black River Falls.

Mrs. Andrew Anderson and daughter Genevieve of Taylor, after a several weeks visit between the Frank and Truman Davis, John Breese, Chas. Hayden and Mrs. L.N. Hungerford's homes, left on the return trip to Taylor Monday.

Peter Braun, with his family and household goods, arrived here from Casanovia late last week and has since taken possession of their new home, the Chas. Schuelke place south of here on Route 3.

Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Huntley, accompanied by her mother Mrs. Elizabeth Smith of Greenwood, left on Monday for a visit with Stillman Huntley and family at Monticello. The Huntleys left their home here in charge of a visiting friends.

John Pizer and son Milan went to Rochester, Minn. Monday where at the Drs. May hospital there, the latter is since under medical care and treatment. Milan says the climate here does not agree with him and that he has plans of returning to Portland, Oregon soon.

Quite a delegation of Granton people were in Neillsville Saturday night, the delightful guests of the C.C. Sniteman Drug Co. there, at the Musical whereat Miss Marie Kaiser, a noted Soprano soloist, and Mr. Abraham Bond, a good violinist, entertained more than 1,000 people.

Co. Clerk Ole Andersen last week issued marriage licenses for Perry Thayer and Miss Myrtle Cole, both of this village, and Ewald Thiede of the town of Grant, and Miss Josephine Thayer of this village. We will endeavor to tell you in our next issue, what became of these licenses.

Mrs. Gus Hahm went to Elgin, Minn., yesterday on a visit to her niece, Mrs. Herbert Pischer, and from there will go to Chicago, Ill. and visit at Fond du Lac and other state points on this pleasure trip of several weeks.

Mr. and Mrs. Bert Haden are in Milwaukee since Wednesday that Mrs. Hayden might enter a hospital and undergo a surgical operation in the hopes of bettering her health.

Mr. and Mrs. Will Rhead and their two youngest children went to Madison Tuesday and will visit at Richland Center and other state points on this pleasure and 10 day vacation trip, before returning home.

Miss Frieda Garbush of Route 1, with Miss Lottie Albrecht of Chili, left on Tuesday for Rochester, Minn. to visit relatives of the former and if they find positions of their liking, they will spend the winter there.

Mrs. Hans Paulson Sr. of Nasonville accompanied her son-in-law, D.S. Rausch, home from there by auto last Saturday and visited here until Monday evening, when Mrs. Rausch and children autoed home with her.

Henry Sternitzky went to Loganville Saturday to visit relatives in the Herman Hasz family, and more especially to get acquainted with his little grandson, Henry Hasz, who was born there Sept. 17th.

Mrs. Nancy Johnson, Mrs. Eva Canfield, Mrs. Ray Canfield and little son autoed in with Mrs. Leroy Pierce of Neillsville last Saturday and made some pleasant calls among town friends.

The village band gave Wednesday's bridal couple, Mr. and Mrs. Ferdinand Reichert, a most delightful serenade at Rev. Hasz's residence immediately following the wedding ceremony, and furnished musical escort for them to the outskirts of the village as the bridal party left by auto for Loyal.

Mrs. Groner of Pennsylvania, with her grandchildren John and Emma Crow, spent several days of last week here as guests of the T.D. Wage family, waiting for the Crow household goods, shipped by freight last Thursday, to reach their destination and be set up in the new home at Thorp. Mrs. Groner and the children joined Mr. Crow at Thorp on Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Winn and Mr. and Mrs. Byrl Winn and daughter Aurel went to Milwaukee last Friday night on a visit to their parents Mr. and Mrs. Webb Winn at Trinity Hospital in that city, where Mr. Winn is slowly recovering from an operation undergone several weeks since. Clifford and Byrl are home since Monday, while the ladies remained over until Wednesday.

Granton and vicinity enjoyed a most delightful social good time Wednesday evening at the opera house where they met and gave J.M. Tompkins a farewell surprise party. Card playing, visiting and a good feed were the chief features of the evening's program. Mr. Tompkins left for Draper Thursday noon and expects to spend the winter there in the employ of the Rice Lake Lumber Co. They will keep their home here, although it is probable that Mrs. Tompkins will spend much of the winter visiting between her sons here in the state.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel