Obit: Delano, Silas H. #3 (1853 - 1943)
Surnames: Delano, Hayes, Travis, Bollom
----Source: Humbird Enterprise (Humbird, Clark Co., Wis.) 04/24/1943
Delano, Silas H. #3 (2 MAR 1853 - 18 APR 1943)
Silas Delano, resident of this community since 1886, died at a nursing home in Greenwood (Clark Co., Wis.) last Saturday night of old age and complications, being confined to his bed but a few days.
Funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in this village at 2:00 o’clock Wednesday afternoon, the Rev. A.J. Abbott of Greenwood preaching the sermon, and burial was in the family lot in Mentor Cemetery. Many old friends and relatives, a number of latter from away, attended the services.
Silas Hardy Delano was born to Abram and Sarah Delano at Bangor, Maine, March 2, 1853, and died at Greenwood, Wis., April 18, 1943, at the age of 90 years, 1 month and 16 days.
He moved with his parents to Iowa when a small child, and later the family moved to Brillion, Wis., coming to Clark county in 1878, a farm was purchased at Christie, and in 1886 he came to Humbird (Clark Co.), which, with the exception of the past fifteen months, has been his home.
Mr. Delano was married three times, and is survived by his wife, Mrs. Georgia E. Delano; three daughters, Mrs. Ida Hayes of Wautoma, Mrs. Irene Travis of Chicago, and Mrs. C.E. Bollom of Neillsville; three step-daughters and numerous other relatives.
Farming was Mr. Delano’s occupation in his early life, but after moving here he was employed as sawyer in the logging operations, and when that industry completed its work he joined the extra crews on the railroad maintenance. In later years he was a janitor of the school for quite a number of seasons. He was a baseball player of note while living at Christie, and when older his recreation was hunting, fishing and gardening.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs