Bio: Lambert, Herbert (Fatal Accident - 1913)


Contact: Ann Stevens



Surnames: Libby, McNeil, Lambert, Arden, Colgate


----Source:  Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.)  Aug 7, 1913


Lambert, Herbert (Fatal Accident - 1 Aug 1913)


Columbia was the scene of a heart-rending accident on Saturday last.  Herbert Lambert, whose home was in Fairchild, was sent here to take charge temporarily of the Libby, McNeil and Libby Pickle Factory and while endeavoring to board the gravel train as it was rounding the curve coming from the pit was flung beneath the wheels and horribly mutilated.  The young man (he was only 29 years old) exhibited a splendid amount of nerve from the time he was picked up by the train crew and the new operator here, until his death, which occurred at 9 o’clock Saturday evening.  Not a murmur of complaint escaped him, and in fact his courage  helped largely to facilitate the efforts of the train crew in stopping the flow of blood sufficiently to permit his being carried to Merrillan where the train was met by State Mgr. Arden and District Mgr. Colgate of the Pickle Co. and also the R.R. Co’s. doctor, but in spite of all efforts he gradually sank, until death relieved him of his sufferings.


Mr. Lambert was a young man of sterling habits, faithful and industrious, of a happy disposition, a fine athlete and was a member of the Fairchild ball team.  His loss will be mourned not only by his immediate relatives, but by a host of friends as well.  He is survived by his mother and several brothers and sisters to whom we extend our heartfelt sympathy.  While we regret this accident, we hope that it will be a warning to some of our young men and boys who have been in the habit of jumping on and off moving trains.


Following is the account of an eye witness to the affair:


THE ACCIDENT - The young man was heading for Fairchild, aiming ahead to play ball the following Sunday.  He went to the depot at Columbia in order to find out what train he could get out of Merrillan that would take him to Fairchild.  The operator told him that there would be no more trains until Sunday morning, so he decided to take the gravel train from Columbia to Fairchild.  He made the remark to the operator that if he could get on he would have no trouble in getting off.  About 7 p.m. the gravel train whistled and as he left the depot the operator said, "I am giving them clear sailing out of the pit and they will be going a pretty good hickory out of here so I don’t think you can make it."  Lambert answered, "Yes, I can make it."  The train was coming and he made three efforts and with the third attempt he fell and as near as can be made out he fell on side of Gondola gravel car, had both legs and both arms cut off.  He said, "Notify my mother at Fairchild."  Other words he spoke were, "Boys, I have time to say my prayers."  When the operator and train crew were tying up what was left of his arms and legs he said, "It don’t hurt me, boys, but I can’t stay alive much longer, I lost so much blood."  He was put in the caboose and rushed to Merrillan, where a company doctor was awaiting his arrival, but died at 9:00 o’clock that night.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel