News: Neillsville, Wis. (St. John’s Lutheran Church 25th Anniversary - 1912)


Contact: Ann Stevens


Surnames: Hayer, Eppling, Thrun, Doehler, Thon, Haas, Hellerman, Brandt 

----Source:  Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.)  Nov 21, 1912 

Neillsville (St. John’s Lutheran Church 25th Anniversary - 17 Nov 1912) 

St. John’s Lutheran church, celebrating its 25th anniversary and the dedication of its enlarged and redecorated house of worship last Sunday, also rejoiced in having all its former pastors present at this occasion and participating in the festivities.  Rev. A. Hayer of Princeton, who in 1886 founded the congregation, preached at the morning service; Rev. F. Eppling, now in business at Sheboygan, who organized the congregation and was installed its first pastor from 1886 to 1890, spoke in German in the afternoon and in English in the evening of the pioneer work among the Lutherans of Neillsville; Rev. F. Thrun of Ann Arbor, Mich., who was the pastor from 1892 to 1904, preached in the afternoon; and Rev. Chr. Doehler of Two Rivers, who served the congregation from 1890 to 1892, preached in English in the evening.  There was also present Rev. L. Thon of Marshfield and the choirs of his church, Rev. M. Haas of Granton and his congregation, the congregation of Globe, many of the congregation from Marshfield and a large number of citizens of this city, in fact so many attended the celebration that the capacity of the church was taxed.  Wm. Hellerman of Neenah was also present and assisted in the musical portion of the celebration with his usual success and the choir of the Marshfield church also contributed much to the music of the occasion.  Mr. O. Hellerman, principal of the Lutheran parochial schools of Marshfield directed this choir. 

At the time of its organization, St. John’s congregation consisted of eighteen families.  It has grown to now number 120 families and the great increase in size necessitated the enlargement of the church just completed.  Rev. Brandt and his congregation have worked earnestly to accomplish what good they might, both to themselves and their neighbors, and the high esteem in which St. John’s church is held in this city attests to the success with which their efforts have met. 



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel