Obit: Niemi, Michael (1873 - 1955)
Surnames: Niemi, Nyman, Frazier, Langford, Fisher
----Source: OWEN ENTERPRISE (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 06/23/1955
Niemi, Michael (26 DEC 1873 - 17 JUN 1955)
Michael Niemi was born in Finland Dec. 26, 1873, and passed away June 17, 1955, at the home of his son, Theodore, in Deerfield, Ill., at the age of 81 years, 6 months, 21 days, of a heart attack.
He came to America in 1891. He and Laura Mary Nyman were united in marriage on Oct. 14, 1899, at Waukegan, Ill. To this union were born eight children, five sons and three daughters, all of whom survive. The sons are Richard of Milwaukee, Wis., Albert of Lake Forest, Ill., William of Owen, John of Waukegan, Ill., and Theodore of Deerfield, Ill.; the daughters are Mrs. Elizabeth Frazier (Amy) of Wilmette, Ill., Mrs. Ida Langford, Oak Park, Ill., and Mrs. Curtis Fisher (Anne) of East Troy, Wis. Also surviving are 13 grandchildren, one sister, Eleanor, living in the state of Washington, and one brother, John, Greenwood, Wis.
In 1906 the deceased returned to his native Finland for a visit and while there purchased the old homestead. Upon his return to America his wife and children decided to return to Finland and make their future home, leaving the states in 1909. However, the absence of the family unity they had been used to, plus the absence of the luxurious type of living they had been associated with in America, soon broke their sentiment for the homeland with the result being they returned to America and reunited their home by joining their husband and father in 1910. In May 1911 he and his family settled on a farm south of the city and until the death of his wife on May 31, 1951, had since resided here, enjoying the freedom of the land, the satisfaction of building and developing their holdings, along with the devotion and love of a united family.
On the 15th of October, 1949, the couple were honored by their children, relatives and friends at a special observance rendered them at the Bethany Nazareth Lutheran Church, Owen, in recognition of their Golden Wedding anniversary.
His wife preceded him in death, having passed away May 31, 1951.
Burial was made in Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery at Longwood (Clark Co.), Wis., June 20, 1955, at 1:30 p.m., pastor M. S. Egge officiating. Pallbearers were the five sons and one son-in-law. Mr. Clifford Frazier, Mrs. Kauno Niemi, Mrs. Thorvald Stigsen and Mrs. Frank Luoma of Withee sang one song in the Finnish language and another song in English. Charles Ivey accompanied they on the organ. Flower girls were Mrs. Kauno Niemi, Mrs. Frank Luoma, Mrs. Thorvald Stigsen, Mrs. Frances Herr and Mrs. Irvin Rossow.
Those from away attending the final rites were: Mr. and Mrs. R. Niemi, Milwaukee; Mr. and Mrs. Al Niemi, Lake Forest, Ill.; Mr. John Niemi, Waukegan, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. T. Niemi and Judy of Deerfield, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Frazier and Susan, Wilmette, Ill.; Mrs. Ila Langford, Oak Park, Ill.; Mr. and Mrs. Curtiss Fisher of East Troy, Wis.; Mr. and Mrs. Walfred Niemi, Chicago, Ill.; Mrs. Saani Mikkohen, Waukegan, Ill.; and Mr. R. Niemi of Zion, Ill.
Bio: Niemi, Michael (1873 - 1955)
----Source: Greenwood Public Library, original copy owned by Jean Rolstad
The Michael Niemi Family, Longwood Township
After coming to this country in 1895, Mrs. Michael Niemi and six children returned to her native Finland in 1909 to reside on a farm which Mr. Niemi had purchased during a three-month visit to Finland in 1906. Mr. Niemi expressed his doubtfulness as to their contentment in Finland as a future home. Eventually it was proven that he was correct as the children were dissatisfied as they had become accustomed to the luxuries in America. After writing her husband and obtaining the power of attorney to dispose of their holdings in Finland, the children bid Finland farewell in 1910 to return to America. In May of 1911, they settled on a farm in this community where she has since resided until her death at the age of 73.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs