Obit: Broeren, Matilda "Tillie" Albina (1908 - 2009)
Contact:: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: Broeren, Meger, Cesafsky, Klisiewicz,
Pagel, VanErt, Wilder
----Source: Thorp Courier (Thorp, Clark Co., WI.)
October 28, 2009
Broeren, Matilda "Tillie" Albina (1 March 1908 -
24 October 2009)
Matilda "Tillie" Albina (Cesafsky) Broeren, age
101, of Walnut, IL, passed away on October 24, 2009 at Christ
Hospital in Oak Lawn, IL. She had been visiting with a
daughter and family in Chicago for four weeks.
Tillie was born March 1, 1908 in LeSueur Center,
MN to John and Martha (Meger) Cesafsky. At age nine, her
family moved to a farm outside Thorp, WI, where she attended Goff
School through eighth grade. She then quit school to become
her father’s "right-hand man" on the farm. In her late
teens, she worked in Milwaukee, WI for Master Lock Co. and then for
Curtiss Candy Co. in Chicago, IL.
1932, Tillie married Elmer Broeren at St. Hedwig’s Catholic
Church in Thorp, WI. They lived back on the Cesafsky home farm with
Tillie’s parents, assisting them with farm work. Two
children, Theodora (1933) and Donald (1935) were born
cheese-making job lured them to Manlius, IL where a daughter,
Marjorie (1936) was born, followed by sons Russell (1939) and
Patrick (1940). In 1941 Elmer took another cheese-making job
and moved their family to Walnut, IL, where daughter Marilyn
Kay (1942) was born. Elmer was drafted into the Army in 1944
and Tillie was left home alone to care for their six children who
ranged in age from eleven to two years old. The town of
Walnut successfully petitioned the Army to release Tillie’s
husband from military service early (1945) because of family
obligations at home. Daughter, Mary Ellen (1946) and son,
James (1948) were born after Elmer’s return from WWII.
All of Tillie’s children were born at home, assisted by a
‘midwife’ whenever the doctor was unavailable for a
Thinking it would be a better place to raise a
big family, they moved to a 40-acre farm in Boyd, WI in 1948.
Tillie and the kids helped with the farm work while Elmer worked at
a nearby factory.
1958, at age 50, Tillie and the family moved back to Walnut,
IL. Elmer worked as a carpenter and Tillie did housework for
others. In the mid-1960s Tillie was employed next door at
Avanti Foods where she worked on an assembly line, pinching pieces
of sausage on top of pizzas. She retired in 1974 at age
enjoyed playing cards and Scrabble with her husband, family, and
neighbors. She attended Mass regularly at St. John’s
Catholic Church, and for several years sang in the church
choir. She especially enjoyed her family’s annual
reunion/fishing trips which started in 1970 and continued through
2001. She traveled to WI, MN, SD, CO, WY and TX for these
cared for her husband, Elmer, through his broken hip, heart attack,
and lung cancer before he died in 1978. Despite diminished
vision (a result of macular degeneration), diminished hearing and a
worn out knee, she continued to live alone in her own home with
some assistance from family and friends.
Tillie will be sadly missed by one sister, Elaine
(Steve) Klisiewicz of Boyd, WI; her eight children and their
spouses, 25 grandchildren, 49 great-grandchildren, & 4
Preceding Tillie in death were her parents, John
and Martha Cesafsky; three brothers: Frank, Joe, and Tony; and two
sisters: Frances Pagel and Elizabeth VanErt.
Mass of Christian Burial will be on Saturday at
10 a.m. at St. John’s Catholic Church in Walnut, Illinois
with Father Dan Wilder, pastor, officiating. Burial will be
in Walnut Cemetery. Visitation will be held at Garland
Funeral Home in Walnut, Illinois on Friday from 5 to 7 p.m., with
rosary at 6;30 p.m. A memorial has been established in her
memory to St. John’s Altar Rosary Society.
Condolences maybe sent to www.garlandfuneralhome.com.
Arrangements have been made by Garland Funeral Home in Walnut, Illinois.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs