Obit: Gibbs, Minnie #2 (1872 - 1954)
Surnames: Gibbs, Fox, Haas, Brandt, Gatwood
----Source: THORP COURIER (Thorp, Clark County, Wis.) 03/18/1954
Gibbs, Minnie #2 (28 SEP 1872 - 7 MAR 1954)
Minnie R. Fox was born to Solomon S. and Margaret Fox on Sept. 28, 1872 at Bradley, Mich. Her early life was spent near her birthplace and during her later girlhood years she entered the teaching profession.
On July 5, 1890, she was united in marriage to Francis H. Gibbs and in 1892 they came to Wisconsin, at first making their home at Coloma and later moving to Packwaukee and Plainfield.
Coming to Thorp (Clark Co., Wis.) on Sept. 28, 1906 and purchasing land in the Town of Worden, this pioneer couple began the task of molding a farm and home from a wilderness. On this farm Mrs. Gibbs has made her home until recently, when failing health made it difficult for her to continue the work of maintaining a household.
To this union were born six children: Rex and Ray who died in infancy, Beulah (Mrs. M. J. Haas) of Tucson, Arizona, Behtelva (Mrs. Carl Brandt) of Stanley, Reid of Thorp and Roy of Stanley. There are fourteen grandchildren nd four great-grandchildren. Surviving also are a sister, Mrs. Beulah Gatwood of Kalamazoo, Mich. And two brothers, guy of Shawnee, Okla. And Roy of Alhambra, Calif. Her husband preceded her in death in 1944.
Known always for her genuine interest in her community, Mrs. Gibbs was active in the organization of the Friendly Neighbors Club which still carries on today as a service organization in her old neighborhood. Occupied as she was with her own problems and activities, she never failed to find time to continue her favorite work, that of carrying the true spirit of Christian fellowship into the homes of sick, bereaved or needy neighbors.
He quiet passing at Victory Memorial Hospital in Stanley on Sunday, March 7, 1954, marked the close of a useful and productive life.
Services were held on March 9, 1954 at the Methodist Church in Stanley, the Rev. Cecil Ward conducting, followed by burial in the Oakland Cemetery.
Two vocal solos were offered by Mrs. Orville Peterson, with Mrs. Reuben Kalk at the organ.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs