History: Eadsville, Clark Co., WI

Contact: History Buffs


Surnames: Keith, Mason, Newell, Watts


----Sources:  Google Maps; The Transcript, Austin, MN, 20 May 1875




Unincorporated community in the township of Thorp



 Eadsville, WI is catalogued as a "Populated Place" by the U.S. Board on Geographic Names.  Its elevation above sea level is equal to 1207ft. (368mt.)  The nearest place in the area is Junction, Wisconsin which lies just to the west.

Nearby Cities & Towns

Thorp, WI (4.5 miles SE)
Stanley, WI (5.1 miles SW)
Stanley, WI (5.1 miles SW)
Lublin, WI (8.1 miles NE)
Boyd, WI (9.4 miles WSW)
Gilman, WI (11.2 miles NNE)
Withee, WI (13.4 miles ESE)
Cadott, WI (14.8 miles WSW)
Owen, WI (15.1 miles ESE)
Cornell, WI (17.8 miles NW)

Nearby Neighborhoods

Junction, WI (1.9 miles W)
Eidsvold, WI (3.1 miles S)
Brownville, WI (3.9 miles WNW)
Bellinger, WI (5.5 miles NNE)
Maple Hill, WI (6 miles W)
Lombard, WI (7 miles ESE)
Reseburg, WI (8.2 miles SE)
Colburn, WI (9.2 miles WNW)
Polley, WI (9.5 miles NNE)
Huron, WI (9.7 miles NW)



History of Eadsville, Clark Co., Wisconsin



J. M. Mason, Frank Newell, and fellow named Watts, were arrested near Lake City on Saturday last, for the theft of three horses, a set of harness, a sulkly and a lumber wagon from J. W. Keith, a farmer residing in Eadsville, Wis.  The horses were found at Frontenac, Zumbrota and Hastings.










             Eadsville, WI was located slightly SW of Eidsvold, WI


The two communities share a common history and are located just a mile or two apart with Eidsvold positioned on slightly higher ground and appearing in historical accounts a bit later.  Eadsville formed when the loggers populated the area.  That community expanded in the winter as strong men from all over the country side heard the call of the lumber companies, left their farms and families to harvest the great white pines which had been acquired through Indian treaties.




Lauen, Isak and Gurine


Isak (Isaac) Torkelson Lauen was born 21 Jan 1865 in Eikeland, Hægebostad sogn, Vest-Agder, Norway and baptized same place on 12 Mar 1865. He was the son of Torkel Olson Bakken and Talina Ånensdatter.


Isak came from Norway to Wisconsin about 1890. I am not sure about his location at that time. He went back to Norway and married Gurine Tobiasdatter Hundeland 1 Jul 1898 in Lauen, Hægebostad, Vest-Agder, Norway. Gurine was born 4 Feb 1881 in Hundeland, Hægebostad, Vest-Agder, Norway and baptized same place on 10 Apr 1881. Her parents were Tobias Ånensen Hundeland and Anna Rasmusdatter.


Isak and Gurine immigrated from Norway to Ellis Island, New York leaving Kristiansand, Norway six days after their wedding on 6 Jul 1898. They left Liverpool, England 16 Jul 1898 and arrived at the Barge Office, New York on 25 Jul 1898.


Isak and Gurine bought land at Eidsvold from Melvin and Julia Nye 20 Apr 1899. Their land location was SW ¼ of NE ¼ Section & SE ¼ of NW ¼ Section Section 28 Township 29 North of Range 4 except for 3 acres occupied by the cemetery. I am not sure where they lived from Jul 1898 until Apr 1899 but presume in Eidsvold.

While living in Eidsvold, Isak and Gurine had five children: Lena born Aug 1899, William born 1901, Albert born 10 Jul 1903, Oscar born 1905 and Clarence born 12 Aug 1907. Isak and Gurine sold their land to Martin Tomkowiak 10 May 1909 and moved to Weldon, Saskatchewan, Canada where Isak bought land and took up farming there. They added four more daughters to their family: Gertie born 16 Dec 1909, Mildred born 29 Feb 1912, Agnes born 5 Jul 1914 and Anna born 12 Aug 1916.


Shortly after their last daughter was born they had many sad times hit their home. Isak passed away 20 Mar 1917, Lena passed away 27 May 1919 and William passed away 10 Nov 1921. They had a house fire in 1923 and Oscar passed away 5 Dec 1935. Gurine continued to farm her land and look after her children after the death of Isak. She looked after her grandson as well in her later years.



Property: Eidsvold, Thorp, WI--Nye, Lusk & Hudson's Mill
Contact:  Janet
Email: stan@wiclarkcountyhistory.org


The mill is one of the three which the firm of Nye, Lusk, & Hudson own and operates in this locality. They are all-similar to each other and are among the largest mills in this region. Its capacity is 50,000 feet per day. It has a shingle mill and planing mill attached. A very large number of men are steadily employed in operating the mill. The firm is quite extensively interested in real estate and owns about 5,000 acres of pin and hardwood lands in the towns of Withee and Thorp, which they sell very cheap and on easy terms. The firm was instrumental in procuring the location of the York coal kilns at Thorp and they furnish the York coal company with about 25,000 cords of wood annually, and in this manner give employment to a large additional number of men. The mill which the cut below represents has only been in operation about three years. The photograph from which the engraving was made was taken at a long distance from the mill and gives but an indistinct idea of its size.

History of Eidsvold, Clark Co., Wisconsin


A major historian of the Eidsvold area was Jim Clark. Clark provided histories of the area for a booklet called “Stories of Clark County Written in the Bicentennial Year.” At the time, he was a resident of Maple Plain, Minnesota.

He also sent the Thorp Courier a photograph which was run as a “Way Back When” on December 30, 1976. Accompanying the picture of the class of 1894 (which we can’t duplicate), is a letter, which describes the early years of the school. Here are parts of that letter, which was brought to our attention by Mrs. George Smasal, of Stanley:

“In the year of 1877 School District No. 1 of Thorp was divided and District No. 2 was formed. The new district included all of the western half of the town, three miles west of Thorp and about a city block west and south of what is now (in 1976) Hill Top Tavern. A log building was constructed, the first term of school began in November 1877, the teacher was Miss Anna Jerard, later Mrs. Mike McCaffrey who was one of the early settlers in this area. There were nine pupils, Frank Story, Jeanette Jerard, William Francis, Matt Story, Elmer Warner, Bill Warner, Elijah Warner, Mittie Warner and Abi Warner.

“…I remember the building (an old log, one-room schoolhouse) being there yet when I was a boy, it was occupied as a dwelling by a widow lady and her two sons, Jim and John Kelly.”

He also noted that the teacher in 1890 was Mary E. Boylan.

Clark gave a letter from original student Bill Warner to Clark, and it found its way into the “Stories of Clark Co., (etc.)”. That letter mentions that S. S. Warner of Thorp was a member of the School Board for 18 years; first as a clerk and later as treasurer. The late William Jerard was also a Board member for years.

Eidsvold became a village, and soon outgrew the log school house, according to Warner, who reported that the mill company offered the district a site where the present school is located.

Warner wrote that Boylan was the last teacher in the log school, and that Miss Marian Gwin was the first teacher of the new building, which was necessary despite the Eidsvold district again breaking up and forming the Roger Creek School a few years earlier.


U.S. Census, 1880 WI, Wood, Saratoga ED 239

Hugh Turley Male 67 (1813) Ireland Married Farmer White Self Ireland Ireland
Sarah Turley Female 54 (1826) Ireland Married Keeping House White Wife Ireland Ireland
Robert Turley Male 32 (1848) WI, U.S. Single At Home White Son Ireland Ireland
Sarah Turley Female 27 (1853) WI, U.S. Single Teaching Sch White Daughter Ireland Ireland
Louisa Turley Female 25 (1855) WI, U.S. Single Teaching Sch White Daughter Ireland Ireland
William Turley Male 23 (1857) WI, U.S. Single Working In Saw Mill White Son Ireland Ireland
Emma Turley Female 13 (1867) WI, U.S. Single White Daughter Ireland Ireland
Rosella Turley Female 9 (1871) WI, U.S. Single White Daughter Ireland Ireland
Edward Turley Male 15 (1865) WI, U.S. Single White Son Ireland Ireland

Eidsvold 1909

Two other schools also formed in the district, but we will not be covering those three schools, Roger Creek, Junction, and Pioneer, in this feature series, because there are located in what is now the Stanley School District
Warner also reported that he was later a teacher at the frame building. That was around 1894, a year in which there were 62 pupils in the school.

In a final note from the early years, we also know, from information provided by Mrs. George Smasal, that the teacher from the year 1900 was Mr. Thomas Barber.



 The Norwegian Holiday of Eidsvold




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel