Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
----Source: Based on information from the Atlas of Clark County Wisconsin (circa 1970).
History of World Famous "Colby Cheese, the palatable product was produced 82 years ago (as of 1970) by Joseph Steinwand. The Steinwand Cheese Factory, located one mile south and One mile west of down town Colby, WI, was christened the week of May 1, 1882. By June 21, 1882, it was in full operation, producing 125 pounds of cheese per day.
Cheese factories in those days operated from May to November, because of the harsh winters. Farmers hauled their milk into the factories, using stone boats drawn by oxen. As early as 1884, the Steinwand quality cheese was its’ economic effect upon the milk producers in the area, as they were increasing their dairy herds. Thus by 1884 it was clear that this was a cheese-making area. At this time there were three cheese factories in the immediate area owned by Ambrose Steinwand, Herman Laabs, and Frank Brott. By the time that Joe (son of Ambrose Steinwand) was 16 years of age, he was an accomplished cheese maker.
In 1885, Joe Steinwand developed the world famous cheese known as the Colby. A merchant at Phillips, WI gave as one of his reasons that people should trade with him, was that he sold the genuine Steinwand Colby Cheese.
Dolores Mohr Kenyon
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs