Church: Colby - United Methodist (100th Anniversary
Contact: Kathleen E. Englebretson
Surnames: Barnes, Barker
---Source: Marshfield News-Herald (14 October 1983)
The Colby congregation of United Methodist Church and its pastor since June 8, the Rev. Kenneth B. Barnes, have been planning the 100th anniversary observance of the church.
Special serviced have been conducted throughout the year.
The anniversary worship service will be Sunday. Immediately following will be the banquet served at St. Mary's Catholic School gymnasium, with the program to be back at the Methodist church.
On December 13, 1881, two lots on the southeast corner of Clark and Second streets were acquired by the Colby United Methodist Church from Central Railroad Company.
The Rev. Charles Barker, pastor at that time, began to solicit logs and lumber from area residents. Mill men offered to saw logs without charge. Barker, assisted by women of the congregation, raised money by women of the congregation, raised money to continue the building.
Barker was transferred to another charge, bringing the project to a standstill for quite some time.
Finally, by September 1883, the church was completed. The first Sunday morning service was September 2.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs