Jonathan Nichols, John
Perry and his wife, were the first recorded pioneers
to locate in what is now the township of Weston.
WESTON TOWNSHIP is located
southwest of the center of Clark county. It consists
of two government townships of thirty-six square miles
each; extending twelve miles cast and west, and six
miles north and south. The town was first organized
in the year 1856, being one of the first town, 3 that
were organized in Clark county. It embraced about one-third
of the county at that time, and was not reduced to its
present limits until nearly twenty years later.
Black River runs in a southerly course
through the eastern township.
There are two voting precincts in
The portion of the town east of Black
River is known as East Weston, and that west of the
river is known as West Weston. Wedge's creek flows through
the Western Township. The town is thoroughly watered
by several smaller streams, among which is Cawley creek,
in East Weston.
That portion of the town which lies
along Black river has been settled for many years, and
contains some of the richest farms in the count'. The
western portion of the town has not been settled as
long, but is equally well adapted to agricultural, purposes,
and although the most of the farms are small now, they
are increasing in size and in number.
The surface was originally covered
with hardwood timber interspersed with pine, but much
of the timber has been out and farms started, which
are producing the best of crops of all kinds. Hay, grain
and vegetables of ill kinds grow abundantly, and within
a few years, when the western portion of the town is
more thoroughly developed, it will stand foremost in
wealth among the towns of Clark County. The southern
portion of the town is but two miles north of Neillsville,
the county seat, so that it is but a short distance
from a market and shipping, place for farm produce.
The larger portion of the valuable
hardwood timber is still standing, and should be, and
probably will be manufactured in the town. If this course
is taken it will be one of the chief sources of wealth
for many years, but the permanent source of wealth is
the rich soil; a surface where the drainage is good
and a climate to match, giving the town agricultural
advantages which will still exist when the timber resources
Stock raising of all kinds and dairying
are being pursued by the farmer with good success. The
Neillsville and Withee stage line runs through the eastern
part of the town, Christie post-office is on this line
in the northeastern part of the town. E. D. Hatch is
the postmaster. He also runs a general store in connection
with the post-office, and has quite an extensive trade.
There are already one or two sawmills
in the town which are doing a paying business.
Good highways extend all over the
town, so that the settlers are not isolated from each
The town is divided up into several
school districts, all of which have good school buildings,
and support the best of schools.
There are no villages in this town,
and outside of its timber interests it is exclusively
an agricultural town, and for a town of this class,
its growth has been good, as the following figures from
census reports will show: In 1875 the population of
the town was 409; in 1880 it was 530- in 1885 it was
718,, and the census of 1890 gives it a population of
The town has so far been settled
by natives of this country, although there are some
The town officers for the current
year are as follows: Chairman, Charles Burpee; clerk,
C. E. Foreman; treasurer, W. K. Armitage; assessor,
F. L. Butterfield.
"Clark Co. Illustrated"
by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh, 1890.