Owners Index by Name
1915 Plat Map Index
First Owner’s Map
WARNER is one
of the two towns that have the largest area of any in the county. It extends
eighteen miles east and west, and six miles north and south, consisting of
three townships, which are described as township twenty-seven, ranges two,
three and four west. It is located a little northwest of the center of the
county. It was organized by act of legislature passed in the year 1874. It
was named in honor of M.B. Warner, who was one of the first settlers in the
town, and who is still a resident of the town.
The settlement is principally in the eastern half of the town; and the
population consists largely of eastern people. This eastern part of the town
has been settled for quite a number of years, especially along Black river.
There are a large number of small streams, without names, flowing through
the town-enough to water the surface sufficiently. Black river flows south
through the eastern township. Popple river unites with Black river in this
town, just above the village of Hemlock. A large flood dam has been built
across Black river at Hemlock, which is used in flooding or floating logs
down the river, and also in running the mills at Hemlock. The South Fork of
the Eau Claire river flows through the middle township, and the North Fork
of the same river through the western township. All of these streams have
been used largely in floating the pine timber, which grew in the town, to
market. The western township was originally covered with a thick growth of
pine timber. This however, has nearly all been cut, leaving but very little
timber of any value.
The land in this part of the town is not well adapted to agricultural
purposes, and will probably never be of very much value, unless it be for
pasture or grazing lands. The land in the western half of the middle
township is similar to that just described, and has a level surface. The
eastern half of this township, or that portion east of the South Fork, is
much better land, having originally been covered with hardwood timber, a
portion of which has been cut, and several fine farms started. The eastern
township is also largely hardwood land, and has been settled for some time.
There are some of the largest and best farms in the county in this township.
The soil is well adapted to the production of the various kinds of
grains, vegetables and grasses of this latitude, and stockraising and
dairying is receiving a share of the attention of the farmers.
The highways and bridges in the town are numerous and in good repair.
The schools and churches and, in fact, all public matters receive proper
attention, and testify to the enterprise of the people.
The line of survey of the Wisconsin Central railroad runs through this
town. The road will be completed this season as far as Greenwood, which is
on the southern boundary of this town, and next season the road will be
completed through this town to Chippewa Falls or some point near there.
The proposed line of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul railroad also
extends through this town in a northwesterly course. This road is already in
operation as far as the village of Lynn, and grading is being done on the
extension from Lynn to Thorp. These roads, when competed, will furnish the
town with excellent railroad facilities, and be very beneficial to the
The little village of Hemlock, on Black river, in this town, has two
large mills, one flour mill and one lumber, shingle and lath mill. The water
power, by which these mills are run, is unlimited here. There is a
sufficient volume and fall to run any number of mills and factories. Hemlock
is the northern terminus of the telephone line which extends south to La
Crosse, and east to the towns on the Wisconsin Central line. It is the
longest telephone line in this section of the country.
The census reports for '75, '80 and '85 give the following figures:
Population of the town in 1875, 294; in 1880, 435; in 1885, 590. The
population for 1890 has not yet been furnished us, but there has been a good
increase in the past five years.
The officers of the town for 1890 are as follows: Chairman, W.H. Mead;
clerk, William Vollrath; treasurer, Henry Humke; assessor, A. Larson.
Pioneer Home of Harry Mead.
The above cut represents the pioneer home of W. H. Mead. Of
the town of Warner. The building was erected in 1866, and served as the home
of Mr. Mead and his family until the year 1871, at which time he built a
fine large residence. Mr. Mead was born in Dutchess County, NY, in 1833. He
came with his parents to Jefferson County. Wis., in 1845, where he lived
until 1865. He was married in 1861 and moved to Clark County in 1865 where
he engaged in lumbering and farming
(Source: CLARK COUNTY ILLUSTRATED,
published 1890 by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh - pages 53-54)
Transcribed by Carol Awe