Bio: Buffington, George Augustus (b. 29 Jun 1825)
----Surnames: Buffington, Winchester, Jones, Smith
----Source: Historical and Biographical Album of the Chippewa Valley, Wisconsin (1891-1892) Pages 407-408
----Buffington, George Augustus (born 29 Jun 1825)
George Augustus Buffington, Eau Claire, an old settler and lumberman, was born in Cattaraugus County, N.Y., June 29, 1825, and is a son of Isaiah and Sophia (Winchester) Buffington. Isaiah Buffington was a native of Massachusetts and of English descent. At the time of his death he was engaged in farming in Stephenson County, Ill. He had previously engaged in the mercantile business, and had also run a hotel for a number of years in Onondaga County, N.Y. He died about 1875, at the advanced age of eighty years. His wife, Sophia Buffington, is a native of Chautauqua County, N.Y., of Scotch descent. She now resides at Freeport, Ill., where she is an active worker in the Methodist Episcopal Church.
George A. was reared in Onondaga County, N.Y., until the age of seventeen years. He then came with his parents to Walworth County, Wis., where he worked at farming, teaming, or anything by which he could make an honest living. He continued to reside in that county until 1846, when he was united in marriage with Miss Pluma A. Jones He then preempted a piece of land in the same locality and erected a log cabin, twelve by sixteen feet, in which he took his bride, and there commenced to carve out his future successful career. Subsequently he purchased a stage line running from Kenosha to Beloit. He sold out in the spring of 1848 to Frink, Walker & Co., and placed his belongings on a lumber wagon and went to Stephenson County, Ill., where he entered 160 acres of land and began farming. In 1850 he sold out and removed to Dodge County, Wis., where he received the appointment of under sheriff, and was also elected justice of the peace. At the same time he engaged in the grocery and sale stable businesses, and by industry and economy managed to save $12,000. He came to Eau Claire in 1856, purchased real estate, and moved his family here the following year. He resided in a log cabin for a short time, for which he paid twenty dollars a month, cash in advance. He then purchased the Niagara House, which he managed until the fall of 1857, when he sold out and began steamboating. In the winter of 1858-1859 he built the “Chippewa Valley,” which he ran for one year, and then placed another man in charge, who managed it until the war broke out, when it was captured on the White River and burned.
In 1859, Mr. Buffington purchased a half interest in the Ball & Smith sawmills, which were afterward known as the Smith & Buffington Mill Company. In 1874 it was incorporated as the Valley Lumber Company, with George A. Buffington, Pres.; S.M. Smith, Vice-Pres., and C.M. Buffington, Sec. and Treas. In the fall of 1875 Carson & Rand purchased a half interest, and Mr. Carson was elected president, and G.A. Buffington, Vice-Pres., which offices they still hold. Mr. and Mrs. Buffington are the parents of three children, namely: Clarence M., who is superintendent of the Dells Improvement Company; Ida C., and Byron A., who is president of the Eau Claire Wholesale Company. Politically Mr. Buffington is a republican. He has been chairman of the township board for a number of years, and has also served as mayor of Eau Claire. He is now alderman, which office he has held for fourteen years, and has also been chairman of the county board for a number of years. He is a member of the West Eau Claire Lodge No. 162, F. and A.M; Eau Claire Chapter No. 36, R.A.M., and Chippewa Commandery No. 8, K.T., and the Wisconsin Consistory, thirty-second degree. He is also identified with the Old Settlers’ association. Mr. Buffington has been identified with the growth of the county from its infancy, as the city of Eau Claire consisted of only twelve buildings upon his arrival here. He is a man well known all over the county, not only for his business integrity, but for his courteous and genial bearing.
**This Clark Co., WI Internet Library, ALHN & AHGP website is dedicated to the free sharing of information by researchers, local historians, genealogists and educators. Because of our non-profit status, submissions are not to be used for profiteering of any kind. Our representatives cannot accept gratuities beyond the basic expenses (i.e. postage, copying, courthouse or rental fees) for obtaining requested information. We reserve the right to ban the involvement of anyone who intentionally disregards these policies. Please show your appreciation for this database by Becoming a Clark County History Buff or making a contribution to our Support Fund and Perpetual Preservation Account to help keep this Clark Co., WI database freely available on the World Wide Web and free from commercial enterprise.
*** This copyrighted Clark Co., Wis. genealogy and history material is used by permission of the submitters. Contact us if anyone is using this data inappropriately. It may not be copied and posted to any commercial/.com genealogy sites such as Genealogy Trails, Family Tree Maker or the merged companies Ancestry.Com/RootsWeb/MyFamily or sold for profit.
This page is a part of the Clark County, WI Internet Library Project
Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
~~The Clark Co., Wisconsin History Buffs maintain these pages in support of Free On-line History & Genealogy~~