North Memorial Peace
St. Paul (Hoard Twp)
Mayville First Owners
1875 Mayville Map
Mayville Plat Maps
Clark County, WI
is located in the Northeastern corner of Clark County and consists
of but one township, which is known as town twenty-nine, one East.
It was created by act of legislature in the year 1873, from which
time until 1889, it consisted of two townships, of what is now Hoard
and Mayville. In 1889, the town of Hoard was created out the Western
township of Mayville, reducing this town to its present boundary.
It was not settled to any great extent until the Wisconsin Central
company built their line of road through the Eastern part of the
town, and for a few years thereafter the settlement was confined to
the Eastern part of the town along the line of the railroad, and at
and near where the village of Dorchester now stands. A few
years later, in about the year 1880, the same company built their
line of road west through the Southern part of this town and across
the Northern end of the county, which is now the main line between
Chicago and St. Paul, thus forming a junction in the Southeastern
corner of Mayville, which has been named Abbotsford.
The town has a rolling surface, though the
elevation and depressions are somewhat slight. The soil is well
watered, and is rich and productive. Large crops of hay are produced
as well as many kinds of grains, and all the vegetables of this
There are large bodies of timber here, though
the settlers are quite numerous through the town. Most of the farms
are new and not very large. The timber consists of the hardwoods of
various kinds, and pine. Lumbering has, as yet, probably received
more attention than farming, and there is a supply of timber that
will last for many years. The manufacture of this timber into
lumber and staves is one of the important occupations of the people.
The agricultural interest increase as the lumbering interests
decrease. There are a few large saw mills in the town, at
Curtiss, Dorchester and other points.
The shipping facilities are good, there being
three shipping points, one at Curtiss, one at Dorchester
and one at Abbotsford.
The main line of the Central runs through the
Southern part of the town, and the branch running to Ashland and
other points on Lake Superior, runs through the Eastern part.
On this Ashland branch near the Northeastern
corner of the town, is located the thriving and progressive village
of Dorchester. It was originally situated in the midst of a
dense forest, but the timber is gradually disappearing, and there
are already some good farms in the locality. The saw mills here are
doing a good business. There are two or three general stores, among
which is the large store of H. La Bossier, a cut of
which appears in this book, a drug store, hardware store, meat
market, photograph gallery, grocery store and many other mercantile
establishments, blacksmith shops and small factories of different
kinds. There are two hotels and boarding houses in the village,
also the bank and insurance agency of E. H. Winchester.
A public hall, a church and a fine school building are among the
public buildings in the village. We have not the statistics at hand
to enable us to give a full list of the business places, and have
only named those that come to our mind after visiting the place.
There are probably about five hundred people in the village,
possibly a larger number, and it has the reputation of being one of
the liveliest villages of its size on the line of the Wisconsin
is also a flourishing little town. Its history dates from the
building of the line of road west to Chippewa Falls in 1880, and is
what might properly be called a railroad town. A large number of
passenger and freight trains pass in and out of the junction each
day. The large depot and railroad eating house which formerly stood
at the junction of the roads was destroyed by fire two or three
years ago, and a large new depot has been built in its place. The
village is very nicely laid out and there are several fine business
places and residences in the place. There is a large hotel across
the track from the depot, which is will managed and does a good
business. A good graded school has been established here which is in
charge of well qualified teachers, and under the direction of an
efficient school board.
The village is surrounded by forests of pine
and hardwood, the latter of which is almost untouched, except by
settlers in clearing land for farms, making a splendid situation for
mills for the manufacture of hardwood lumber. The village of
Curtiss is partially in this town, being on the line between
this and the town of Hoard, and has already been described with that
The present natural wealth of this town lies
largely in its hardwood timber, but when the timber is all taken
away it will be a wealthier town than before, as it has soil which
can not be surpassed for agricultural purposes.
The growth of the town can be shown by figures
only in connection with the town of Hoard, as the two have been one
town and the population given together until the last year. These
figures are as follows: In 1875 their population was 487; in 1880 it
was 1249; in 1885 it was 1517, and this year it is 1750.
A. N. Virch is
the postmaster at Curtiss, Aug. Homsted at Dorchester
and L. R. Roter at Abbotsford.
The chairman of the town is G. F.
Schmidt; the clerk is Paul Blanc; the
treasurer is George Krakenberger, and the assessor is
A. F. Schmidt.
Source: "Clark County Illustrated" by Saterlee,
Tifft & Marsh (1890).