The Township of Hewett, Clark Co.,
Wisconsin was named for
This is the original
site of a sawmill dam built in the late 1800's. It
was replaced in 1927 with a concrete dam constructed by
Ernie Snyder. This dam was removed in 1992.
Through the dedication of forest and parks committee chairperson,
Lawrence Behling, with collective efforts and generous contributions
from many, Snyder Dam II was erected in 1994.
was created with its present boundaries Nov. 20, 1874. The
act was to take effect the first Monday in April, 1875,
and the first meeting was to be held at the hotel of James
Hewett at Hewettville.
the 1918 History of Clark Co., page, 84; submitted by Dolores
Mohr Kenyon )
COLUMBIA is a station on the Omaha line between Neillsville
and Merrillan. It has a good looking school building, and
several nice homes. Several years ago Columbia was boomed
by a land company, but the exploitation was overdone and
that part of the county until recently has suffered from
the after effects of too much publicity.
Columbia now has a store, a
warehouse, a cheese factory, a hall and a church.
(From the 1918 History of Clark
Co., page, 665; submitted by Dolores Mohr Kenyon)
The History of Columbia,
HEWETTVILLE / WEDGE'S CREEK
efforts of a syndicate, organized or suggested by J.L. Gates,
of Milwaukee, a village has been started along Wedges Creek.
A few buildings are now being put up on the site."
From the Clark Co. Press, June 1893.
Hewettville, was located near what is now known as Snyder
Dam (see the photo above).