________________________Friday, January 18, 1963__________________________
Greenwood of Yesterday was Bustling Lumbering Community
GREENWOOD—The first settlement near what is now the city of Greenwood began in 1848, when VanDusen and Waterman erected a new mill on the west side of the Black River and started what was to become a thriving industry in the areas. Soon Albert Lambert built a sawmill not far away, and in 1854 Elijah and Frederick Eaton arrived to remain as permanent residents of the area. They purchased the VanDusen and Waterman mill and expanded the lumber camps so that many million feet of lumber were saved there. It was not long before this thriving area was known as Eatonville.
In 1855 Robert Schofield arrived to make his home and living in the area, and Charles W. Carpenter arrived June 10, 1857.
Elijah Eaton was the first person to settle in the vicinity of which later became Greenwood. He erected his sawmill on the main Black River, about one-half mile west of what is now the city of Greenwood. In 1861, which was the first year of the Civil War, Stephen C. Honeywell located on the present site of Greenwood, cleared a good farm, making it the headquarters of his lumbering business. He carried on his lumber business extensively and was one of the most successful operators of that early period.
The city of Greenwood was platted in 1871 by Maud Brown, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Brown.
The first marriage was that of John Honeywell to Rachel Hodges in the fall of 1871. The first death was that of Elijah Eaton, Dec. 4, 1872.
Greenwood was incorporated as a village in 1891. At that time, there was a community hall, Methodist Church, creamery, sawmill, wagon shop, two meat markets, two blacksmith shops, two millinery and dressmaking stores, several mercantile stores, a furniture store and factory, a barber shop, one hotel, a harness shop, a shoe repair shop, photograph gallery, and other business establishments.
* * *
Greenwood was incorporated as a city by an act of the Wisconsin Legislature on April 2, 1891. David Justice was the first mayor and S. M. Andrews the first treasurer, Elias Peterson the first clerk, H. H. Hartson the first assessor, and the alderman were Robert Schofield, B. F. Thompson, L. W. Larson and H. H. Hartson. The first council meeting was held May 19, 1891.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs