BUTLER - Butler Township was
created by order of the county board on November 11, 1915. The north fork
of the Eau Claire River flows through the northwest quarter of the Town, and
the South Fork of the Eau Claire River flows through the southeastern
corner. Clark County Forest and Recreation zone covers a goodly portion
of the Town. The remainder is devoted to farming.
The first town meeting held in April
of 1916. It was likely named for the early pioneering Butler Family who were
some of the area's first settlers. David, Isaac H., William C., and George
Butler owned land in Sections 10 and 14 as early as 1893. The Wisconsin born
Butler brothers, along with parents George and Nancy Butler, haled in Buffalo
County, WI, in 1880. In section 14, a little community became known as
"Butler's Corners" with the presence of a cheese factory and schoolhouse.
The Butler Township Cemetery is on
Emil Reineke's Farm. The1970 population of the entire 36 sq. mile
township was 83.
On this 1874 Clark County, WI Map, Butler was part still the
most northern and western part of Weston Township, South of Hixon,
West of Eaton and North of Mentor.
(Map of the Current Township Boundaries)