History: O & N Lumber Yards (1914)
Transcriber: Robert Lipprandt
----Source: Allan Hodnett, Owen-Withee Facebook page
Not sure of the source on this old clipping, but it talks about the history of the O & N Lumber Company. There was a time when most towns across the upper half of Wisconsin had a "lumber yard". Many of those lumber yards were owned and operated as O & N Lumber. That included Owen, Withee, Thorp, Greenwood, Loyal and many others. O & N Lumber dated back to 1914 when the John S. Owen Lumber Company merged with the old Northwestern Lumber Company of Stanley.
----Source: Newspaper Unknown Clip, Allan Hodnett
In 1914, the O & N Lumber Company was established by a merger of the John S. Owen Lumber Company of Stanley and the Northwestern Lumber Company of Stanley.
Forty-five cities and villages of central and west-central Wisconsin became the home of the O & N Lumber yards, the largest lumbering chain in Wisconsin.
The company had yards in Abbotsford, Augusta, Bloomer, Boyd, Cadott, Chippewa Falls, Clintonville, Colby, Colfax, Curtiss, Dorchester, Cornell, Downing, Durand, Eau Claire, Elva, Fairchild, Fall Creek, Gilman, Granton, Greenwood, Hannibal, Humbird, Jim Falls, Loyal, Lublin, Marshfield, Medford, Menomonie, Neillsville, New Auburn, Osseo, Owen, Riplinger, Rusk, Stanley, Stetsonville, Strum, Thorp, Unity Wheeler, Willard, Wilson and Withee.
Bio: John S. Owen
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs