School: Greenwood Area Speech Contest Winners (1958)
Surnames: Herr, Rondorf, Olson, Behrens, Rohde, Miller, LaMarr, Schwarze, Krultz, Wessel, Schendel, Barr, Auman, Toburen, Walde, Gasparac, Turnquist, Podrovitz, Tolaney,, Butterbrodt, Chaturvedki, Sissna, Lindner, Horvat, Christie, Slemec, Matkovich, Tomac
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 01 May 1958
Cheryl Behrens, Greenwood Public School, Alan Rohde, Eaton Center State Graded School, and Nancy Auman, Willard State Graded School, won the top first, second and third places respectively in the first annual Greenwood Community School Speaking Contest held in the Greenwood High School Wednesday afternoon, April 23rd. About 150 students gathered for the event, which had great interest. The contest was open to seventh and eighth graders of the schools in the Greenwood Community School District and St. Mary's School of Greenwood. Nineteen speakers took part in the contest.
Speeches deatl with a wide variety of subjects of current interest and ranged in length from three to five minutes. Contestants, schools and subjects chosen were as follows:
- Cheryl Behrens, Greenwood Public School – The Recession
- Alan Rohde, Easton Center School – Yes and No
- Nancy Auman, Willard School – Why Should We Read Books
- Karen Toburen, Rocky Run School – Deer
- Lila Schwarze, Braun Settlement School – Increase In the Price of the Postage Stamp
- Kathleen Herr, St. Mary's School – Benson and the Farmer
- Jon Schendel, Eaton Center School – Our Youth
- Eddie Krultz, Decker School – Should Two More Stars Be Added?
- Doris LaMarr, Blackberry School – Economics
- Robert Turnquist, Christopherson School – Hobbies
- Larry Barr, West Eaton School – Mink Farming
- Judy Olsen, Hemlock School – Personal Publicity
- Lewis Walde, Rocky Run School – The Moon
- Shirley Rondorf, St. Mary's School – One Aspect of the International Geophysical Year
- Sandra Miller, Greenwood Public – Juvenile Delinquency
- Mickey Podrovitz, Willard School – Traffic Hazards
- Katherine Gasparac, Christopherson School – Alaska
- Everett Wessel, Hemlock School – Sports
Kathleen Noah was to have represented Benjamin School, but was sick the day of the contest.
The contest was sponsored by the Greenwood High School speech department. High school teachers who served as judges were: Mrs. Marvelene Butterbrodt, Sewa Ram Chaturvedi and Joe Sissna. Student committees who helped in conducting the contest included Karen Lindner, John Horvat, Perry Christie, Robert Slemec, Nick Matkovich and Joe Tomac.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs