School: Greenwood Area School Reorganization (Feb 1957)
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 14 Feb 1957
The Clark County School Committee met at Greenwood (Clark Co., Wis.) on Feb. 5th, 1957 for the purpose of acting on certain petitions pertaining to the reorganization of the Greenwood area.
Although it was a private meeting of the County School Committee, still about 20 people outside of the school committee were present and were given a chance to express their opinions. After the discussion the County School Committee held a closed meeting.
They considered two petitions. The first one was to dissolve 8 districts, namely Greenwood City, Eaton Center, Blackberry, Decker, Benjamin, Braun Settlement, Hemlock and Christopherson and create a common school district for all grades, 1 – 12, comprising the territories of these districts. The second was from Rocky Run, who wanted to be included. The original had 9 signatures and Rocky Run had 8 signatures. As a result of the 2 petitions the matter of hearings or action on the petitions were deferred untl later meetings.
In the meantime the County School Committee is going to set up at least one information meeting for Monday, Feb. 18th, at 8:00 p.m. at the Greenwood High School. The people from all territories served by the Greenwood High School are invited to attend and the various plans of reorganization will be discussed and a secret ballot will be taken, on which the people are to express their preferences and wishes.
This will not be a formal hearing and no formal order will be forthcoming as the result of this hearing. The vote taken at this meeting will not be a binding vote to the County School Committee, but will simply give the School Committee a guide for its thinking in the reorganization of the Greenwood area.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs