School: Colby High School (Site Selection - 1954)
Contact: Robert Lipprandt
----Source: The Tribune - Phonograph (Abbotsford, WI) 9/30/2015
First published in the Abbotsford Tribune, September 30, 1954
At a special meeting of the Colby Union Free High School district, the Pernsteiner farm, just north of the city limits of Colby, was selected as the site for the new high school building.
The next move toward the erection of the building will be a special meeting to vote on the bond issue.
The Pernsteiner farm consists of 80 acres of land. A written agreement was obtained prior to the meeting committing the owner to the sale of the property for school purposes at a price of about $17,000.
It is planned that the first unit of the new building, costing about $250,000, would be used for “special services” - a gymnasium and facilities for an agriculture shop, industrial arts, science and home economics. Both school buildings would be used until it is possible to house the entire school system in one building.
The district is unable to proceed with construction of a complete new school building because the present borrowing power of the district is limited to $300,000.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs