BioA: Driscoll, Mr. and Mrs. J.
L. (Gold - 1949)
Contact: Linda Ewen
Surnames: Driscoll, Andrews, Botts, Gardiener, Heath, Gardiner, Hoftiezer, Fleming, Folin, Korth, Crowell, Hayward, Ford, Liebenstein, Butters, Lavers, Robinson, Walden, Wyman, Wesley, Clark, Thomas, Borth, Holmes, Corbett, Stewart, Holterman, Wilson
----Source: Spencer Record, Spencer, Wis.) 7/7/1949
Driscoll, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. (Gold - 1949)
Wednesday, June 29, Mr. and Mrs. J. L. Driscoll celebrated their golden wedding anniversary with a 1 p. m. dinner for approximately 60 relatives and friends at the Methodist Church dining hall followed by open house at the Dale Driscoll farm east of here. About 100 well wishers greeted the couple at the open house.
Mr. and Mrs. Driscoll have lived in Spencer all of their married lives. Mr. Driscoll, is the son of the late James and Henriette Driscoll, he was born in spencer, September 27, 1876 and lived here all but 4 years when in his teens he resided in Rib Lake.
Mrs. Driscoll, daughter of the late William and Mary Jane Andrews, was born Nov. 14, 1876, in the town of Mitchell, Sheboygan County and at the age of 15 came to Spencer with her parents.
Both attended school here where they were classmates. They were married at the home of the bride’s parents, June 29, 1899, by the Rev. Charles E. Botts, pastor of the Methodist Church. Attending them were the late Don. E. Gardiener and Mabel Heath, now Mrs. Mable Gardiner, of Los Angeles. As she was unable to attend the anniversary, she sent a letter which was read at the celebration.
For a few years they lived on the old Driscoll farm, now known as the Hoftiezer farm located a mile south of the village. In 1913 they purchased the farm east of the village where their son, Dale, now resides.
Mr. Driscoll was the first rural mail carrier on route 1 when that service was started. In 1934 they moved to town and Mr. Driscoll was appointed postmaster here, a position he held for 11 years. He is now retired.
Four sons were born to the Driscoll’s two of whom died in infancy. Dale and Floyd are the two surviving sons. They both have farms east of the village. There are two grandchildren, James and Sally, children of the Dale Driscoll’s.
At the dinner at the church Rev. Fleming asked the blessing. Mrs. C. E. Folin acted as toastmistress and a neice [sic] of Mrs. Driscoll and a cousin of Mr. Driscoll, Lois Mae and Marie Kroth, sang two songs and a poem dedicated to the honored couple, was recited by Lois Mae. Miss Rizpah Crowell read a synopsis of the courtship and Mrs. H. C. Andrews read a history of Mrs. Driscoll while George Hayward read one of Mr. Driscoll. At the conclusion of the program Dale and Floyd read a poem honoring their parents.
Mr. and Mrs. Will Ford, cousins of Mrs. Driscoll, were presented with corsages in honor of their 56th wedding anniversary, which was the same day as the 50th wedding anniversary of the Driscoll’s.
Out of town relatives present for the occasion were Mr. and Mrs. Will Ford, Waldo; Mrs. Harvey Liebenstein, Wesley Liebenstein and Albert Butters, Cascade; Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Lavers, Tomahawk; John Clark, La Valle; Mrs. Charles Robinson, Mrs. Earl Robinson, and Mr. and Mrs. Heath Walden, New Lisbon; Miss Mildred Wilson, Marshfield; Mr. and Mrs. Guy Wyman and daughters Beverly and Elizabeth, and Roger Wesley, Wausau; Mr. and Mrs. W. E. Hayward, Mrs. C. E. Folin and daughter, Chelene Elizabeth, Minneapolis, Minn.; Mrs. Will Clark and Mrs. Charles Thomas, Milwaukee and Mrs. Albert Borth, Racine.
Others present were Miss Rizpah Crowell, and Mrs. Lena Holmes, King; Mr. and Mrs. Frank Corbett, Babcock; Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Hayward, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Andrews, Mr. and Mrs. Russell Andrews and daughters Jane and Syrl, Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Driscoll, Mr. and Mrs. Dale Driscoll and children James and Sally, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Korth and family, Mr. and Mrs. H. C. Stewart and Mr. and Mrs. H. G. Holterman, Mrs. R. J. Fleming, all of this vicinity.
The Record joins their many friends in extending congratulations and best wishes for many more years of happy married live together.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs