Bio: Knox, William H. (1881)
Surnames: Knox, Axford
----Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) page 563
WILLIAM H. KNOX, Wausau, was born in Pembroke, Merrimack Co., N.H., Nov. 28, 1834, and lived there until 1866. He commenced lumbering in 1865, and the manufacture of lumber in 1867 and 1868 with his brother, Sam G. Knox, on the Wisconsin River at a point known as Crooked Riff, Portage County. They built a mill there and ran it until the Spring of 1874, when they built a mill at Stevens Point, beginning operations there the same year; selling out in 1877, they came to Wausau and bought a three-eighths’ interest in the Wausau Lumber Co., of which he has been president and is now secretary. In 1877 and 1878, they had their logs sawed at Stevens Point, but in 1879 their work was done at Wausau. They have a lumber yard at Flandreau, Dakota. Mr. Knox’s brother lives at Ripon. Mr. William H. Knox was married in Oxford, July 14, 1865, to Mary S. Axford, who was born in Grant, Wis. They have two children, Hiram and Gracie.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs