Bio: Kickbusch, August (1881)
Surnames: Kickbusch, Plumer, Schochou, Osborn
----Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 562
AUGUST KICKBUSCH, Wausau, was born in Pomerania, Prussia, Oct. 15, 1828, and lived there until he came to America in 1857, landing at Quebec, and coming from there to Milwaukee by railroad, and from Milwaukee to Stevens Point and Wausau on foot. He remained in the woods, selected and bought 364 acres of farming lands in the present town of Hamburg; then returned to Milwaukee and was engaged in teaming until 1860, when he came to Wausau to reside. He came here first with a load of merchandise and, disposing of the goods to advantage, decided to come here and engage in mercantile business. He commenced business on Clark’s Island, building a shanty, 16x28, in which he lived and carried on trade; it was situated where Jack Clark’s red building now stands. Mr. Kickbusch lived for eight days in a wagon, being unable to find other shelter. He remained two years and a half on the island, and then bought his present stone building on the corner of Main and Washington streets, and has carried on business in that building ever since. In the Spring of 1865, he built a hardware, stove and crockery store next to his grocery. In 1872, he built his brick store on Washington street, and in 1878 his feed store on southwest corner of Main and Washington streets.
In March, 1867, Mr. Kickbusch went to Europe, and when he returned, June 20, 1867, he brought with him on the “American” of the North German Lloyd lines of steamers, a large number of German emigrants, every one of whom he located in Wisconsin. He has been emigrant agent ever since he came here, and has kept emigrants for weeks without charge; is now agent for the Inman, Anchor, White Star, and North German Lloyd lines, and is doing more to settle this section of the country than any one else. He has had railroad contacts and been one of the most active business men of the country; he started the first brick yard in Marathon County about 1865, just a mile east of his grocery store. In 1867, in company with B. G. Plumer, he bought the fair grounds, donating them to the Society, which position he has held ever since its organization, with the exception of three years. He has been the Village President three terms, Chairman of the County Board five years, he was the first Mayor after the incorporation, has been Mayor two terms, and is director of the Board of Trade. He started the German Guards, a military company, and in 1867 started the first brass band in Wausau, and still maintains it, the “Wausau Cornet Band.” He has dealt in lumber for the last fourteen years. Mr. Kickbusch was married, March 3, 1854, in Pomerania, Germany, to Matilda Schochou, a native of that place. They have four children – Otto, born in Germany, Martha, now Mrs. Wm. Osborn, of Wausau; Robert and Emma. They lost one son, Gustave, who died in Milwaukee in 1859, aged about three years.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs