Bio: Greene, Thomas Rev. (1881)
Contact: crystal@wiclarkcountyhistory.org

Surnames: Greene

----Source: The History of Northern Wisconsin (Marathon County, Wis.) 1881, page 561

REV. THOMAS GREENE, B. D., and County Superintendent of Schools of Marathon Co., Wausau. Mr. Green attended the Theological School at Nashotah, and was ordained to the Holy Ministry, Trinity Sunday, June, 1853. He was then appointed missionary to Ripon, Berlin, Green Lake, Fox Lake and Rosendale. In 1854, he was elected rector of the Church of the Intercession at Stevens Point, and also had a parish school there, which was attached to the church. In 1858, he resigned this parish and came to Wausau, where he gathered in a large congregation and built the church of St. John in the Wilderness. In 1861, he resigned charge of the church and removed to Monroe, Mich., and became rector of the Trinity Church there, being rector from 1861 to 1864. In May, 1864, he became chaplain of 17th Reg. Mich. I.V. in which capacity he served until the close of the war. He was mustered out in Tenelly Town, Va., June, 1865. Then he removed to Fayette, Mo., and became rector of St. Mary’s Church, where he remained two years. He then returned to Wausau, Wis., and was appointed County Superintendent of Schools. He was born in Atherstone, Warwickshire, England, June 4, 1819. He held the first service that was held in Wausau in the ball room of the Forest House, March 12, 1854. he had a very large congregation, people coming from a long distance to hear him.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE