History: Spencer Beauty Shop
Surnames: Binning, Andrews, Ayer, Meacham, Ringquist, Taves
----Source: Spencer Centennial Book, 1874 – 1974 (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) page 84
About 1935 Merle Binning of Unity bought the Ingham Jewelry Store building and converted it into a modern and attractive Beauty Shop which she operated, with the assistance of Fae Andrews, for several years, and then Helen Ayer, to whom she sold her business in 1945.
When Merle opened Spencer’s first beauty shop, the cost of a permanent was $2.50 to $3.00 and shampoos and sets were 75 cents and $1.00. The shop was open six days a week from 8:00 A.M. to 9:00 or 10:00 P.M., or even later if it took that long to clear the shop.
In August of 1946 Evelyn Meacham Ringquist, a Spencer High School Alumnus, bought the shop from Helen Ayer and has been busy ever since taking care of the beauty needs of the community with the help of her assistant, Trudy Taves.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs