History: Spencer Painters
Surnames: Sears, Williams, Thompson, Baldwin, Westfall, Oestreich
----Source: Spencer Centennial Book, 1874 – 1974 (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) page 83
J. A. W. Sears, a pioneer painter, advertised that he would do plain and ornamental and paint houses and carriages. He presented, with his complements, a neat and appropriate sign to the Odd Fellows which adorned their lodge room over Heath’s Store.
A news item mentions that painter Thompson had completed the painting of the Blackstone Hotel.
Col. Williams was another painter in the earlier days and continued his work for many years.
In 1912 the Baldwin Brothers (Frank and Bert) established a store in what is now the Ervin Westfall building, selling paint, brushes, wallpaper and supplies, and also engaged in painting and paper hanging. About a year later, Frank moved elsewhere and the store was closed. Bert remained here and continued his trade until his retirement in 1957, after having brightened and beautified a countless number of homes with his skillful service.
Ervin Oestreich, a very efficient workman, did painting in this area from 1951 to 1966.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs