Bio: Barrett, C. C. (1858 – 19??)
Surnames: Barrett, May, Minshall, Blumer
---Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens, by Louis Marchetti, 1913.
Barrett, C. C. (25 December 1858 – 19??)
C. C. BARRETT, who has been prominently identified with the development of Edgar, Wis., coming here in 1893, after successful business experiences in other sections, was born in Blooming Grove township, Dane county, Wis., three miles from Madison, December 25, 1858, a son of James W. and Jane (May) Barrett, who came from Wethersfield, Conn., in 1847. Their ancestors were some of the first settlers of Wethersfield, Conn., who came from Sussex, England, A. D. 1640, and settled in Roxbury, Mass., and later at Weathersfield, Conn. They had four children, two sons surviving, C. C. and a brother, Clifford P. Barrett, the latter of whom is a resident of Chicago, III.
James W. Barrett, the father, who was a private in Company G, 29th Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, died in the service of the United States. In November, 1863, the family moved from Wisconsin to Wethersfield, Conn.
C. C. Barrett was educated at Weathersfield and Bridgeport, Conn. He then became a commercial traveler for a wholesale boot and shoe house of Hartford, Conn., and continued in that line for ten years when he moved to Kansas City and became connected with the Missouri Pacific Railroad as ticket agent and traveling passenger agent, remaining eight years, and for the three following years was manager of the Ada Mining Company and was stationed at Joplin, Mo. He then became interested in the mining business, which occupied his attention until November, 1893, when he came to Edgar. Here he first engaged in logging, but soon embarked in the real estate business, his holdings covering a wide territory. A man of enterprise and foresight, he soon was chosen for leadership in the developing of this section. He served three years as postmaster of Edgar and erected the first special post office building ever put up in Marathon County, Edgar having a building even before any such particular structure had been erected at Wausau. He then organized the Edgar Land Company, which laid out forty acres in town lots, the north side of the village, and in three and one-half days had a half mile of street with sidewalks graded. The property was thus made so presentable that the sale of lots was thereby more easily brought about and life was introduced into every avenue of business. He also laid out forty acres about one-half mile distant from the old town of Rib Falls, in connection with the Rib Falls Land Company, and in carrying on the work of improvement here made use of six railroad wheel scrapers, grading roads. He helped to organize the Edgar, Cassel & Emmett Telephone Company, of which he is an official and is president of the Edgar Local Telephone Company, which company installed and operated the first telephone exchange in Marathon County outside of Wausau. In politics he is a republican, for eighteen years has been a justice of the peace and was the first police judge elected at Edgar after the incorporation as a village.
In 1903 Mr. Barrett was married to Mrs. Clara B. Minshall, a daughter of Mathias and Anna Blumer, of La Crosse County, Wis. They have three children: Clifford C, Jane May and Charles J., and son Cyrus B. Minshall by a former marriage of Mrs. Barrett. Mr. and Mrs. Barrett attend the Presbyterian Church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs