History: Spencer Shoe Stores
Surnames: Seigrist, Hickel, Robak, Smith, Anderson, Hasfelsprings, Bezack, Rust, Habeck, Covi, Kasper
----Source: Spencer Centennial Book, 1874 – 1974 (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) pages 75-76
Some proprietors of our earliest shoe stores made shoes to order and promised a good fit. Henry Seigrist, located the first door west of the Railroad House, advertised that he was a manufacturer of boots and shoes and would give particular attention to shoe repairing. Others were the M. Marx Shoe Store located on Clark Street – employed the best workmen, had first class stock and guaranteed a perfect fit. Ernest Hickel, of Manistique, Michigan, announced that he had purchased the shoe repair business and stock of John Robak. Joe Smith was one of our earlier shoemakers and did a lot of repair work. After retirement he moved to Dorchester.
In 1914 or 1915 Hans Anderson operated the Quality Shoe Store and Repairing and advertised that he carried the original Chippwa Shoe.
Others were Wm. Hasfelsprings, Herman Bezack,Ernest Rust, Oscar Habeck, and Charles Covi.
Ernst Rust, a farmer north of town, had learned the shoemaker’s trade in Germany. He rented his farm to his son, Hermann, and operated a shoe shop here for a number of years. His shop was located on the north side of Clark Street near the tracks. He also repaired harnesses for farmers.
Besides doing repair work, Charles Covi carried a full line of foot wear for all ages. His wife helped him operate the store.
Beidel Brothers Shoe Store and repair shop, the successor to Charles Covi, started operation in the same building, but later moved the business to a building located across from the Post Office on LaSalle Street.
In July of 1967 Mr. and Mrs. Norman Kasper purchased the store from the Beidel Brothers, and it is now known as Kasper Shoe and Sports Shop/ It is a well-stocked store, they handle a full line of shoes and sporting goods, and they do shoe repairing.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs