Bio: McVean, Peter
Contact: Tanya Paschke.
Surnames: McVean, Gould
----Source: Spencer Centennial Book, 1874 – 1974 (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) page 15
Peter McVean, whose parents emigrated from Scotland to New York, moved with his parents to Hartford, Wisconsin, where he met and married Albina Gould. He was a lawyer and she a teacher. In 1869 they, with their five children, came to the town of Loyal and homesteaded 160 acres of woods located west and north of Spencer. Enduring all the usual hardship, toil and sacrifice of a pioneer farmer, the McVeans converted their woods into a farm where they reared their seven children. Mr. McVean found time to be of service to his community. He helped erect a school house for the five families in the area, became a member of the first school board and was the first teacher (1875-76), with a total enrollment of 11 (including four McVeans). He was a member of the town board of Loyal when a portion of it was made into the Town of Sherman in 1872. he helped form the first town board of the Town of Sherman and served on it for many years. He remained on his homestead until his death in 1895, followed by that of his wife one week later. The farm was then taken over by the eldest son, Edmund, who lived there until his death in 1922. His son, Frank, now owns and operates the farm.
----Source: Spencer Centennial Book, 1874 – 1974 (Spencer, Marathon County, Wis.) page 44
Our pioneer settlers went on hikes for reasons other than to exercise or view the beauty of the countryside. For example, there being no roads other than Indian trails, Peter McVean walked to Neillsville and carried home on his back the necessary supplies, including flour. In the summer of 1870 he walked to Alma Center and brought home a yoke of steers, his first oxen. On another occasion he walked to the same place where he bought a heifer and led her home.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs