Bio: Koschmann, F. Bernard (1845 – 19??)
Surnames: Koschmann, Curtis, Yale, Blumenkamp, Langhuth, Ladwig, Mathwich
----Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens, by Louis Marchetti, 1913.
Koschmann, F. Bernard (11 January 1845 – 19??)
F. BERNARD KOSCHMANN, general merchant at Wausau, Wis., his fine two-story brick building being located at Nos. 1419-1421 Third street, has been here as a resident since 1877. He was born in Germany, January 11, 1845, and is a son of Charles and Christiana Koschmann whose lives were passed in Germany.
F. Bernard Koschmann was reared and attended school in his native land, learned the carpenter trade there and worked at the same until 1872, when he came to the United States. He found plenty of employment at Chicago, Ill., where he remained for five years and then came to Wausau and worked for three years in the Plumer mill. He then entered the employ of the Curtis Bros. Co., now the great Curtis & Yale Company, and for six years was foreman in their yard. In 1888 he established a retail business in the Blumenkamp Building at 1406 Third Street. The following year he built a store at the corner of De Kalb and Third streets, which was partially destroyed by fire in 1900; he at once rebuilt and enlarged the building which he has occupied ever since.
At Chicago, Ill., Mr. Koschmann was married to Miss Augusta Langhuth, who died in 1881. They had had three children: Emma, who died in childhood; Gustav, who lives at Spokane, Wash.; and Hattie, who died in childhood. Mr. Koschmann then married Johanna Ladwig, who died three years later, leaving two children: Otto, and Johannes, who is with his father. Mr. Koschmann subsequently married Miss Emma Mathwich and they have nine children: Bennie, Anna, who died in childhood, Ella, Walter, Edward, Arthur, Martin, Hannah and Herbert. Another member of the family is an adopted daughter, Mary Ladwig. Mr. Koschmann is a member of the Lutheran Church and one of its board of trustees. He has been a useful and reliable citizen ever since he came to make this his home. His sterling qualities have been recognized and twice he has been elected a member of the city council, retiring from office in 1910, with a clear record for honesty and efficiency.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs