Bio: Parcher, Hon. Robert E. (1838 – 1907)
Surnames: Parcher, Kenny, Taylor, Ellis, Taylor, Boone, Fernald, Single, Fitzer, Baldwin, Dunbar
---Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens, by Louis Marchetti, 1913.
Parcher, Hon. Robert E. (6 December 1838 – 4 December 1907)
HON. ROBERT E. PARCHER, whose death took place in Wausau, Wisconsin, December 4, 1907, was for many years one of the most substantial business men of this place and one of its most esteemed citizens. He was born at Troy, Vermont, December 6, 1838, a son of Robert and Lucretia G. (Kenny) Parcher, and was reared and educated at Morrisville, Lamoille County, Vt., whence he came to Wausau in the spring of 1858. For eighteen months after his arrival here he was employed as clerk by the firm of Taylor & Ellis, and when Mr. Ellis retired soon afterward, Mr. Parcher succeeded him in the firm. Later he succeeded to Thomas Taylor's interests in the business and conducted it alone until July, 1876, when he admitted George Fernald as a partner.
From the time he first came to Wausau Mr. Parcher's activities were mainly devoted to the lumber business. For five years he was president of the Boone Company and he was one of the founders of the Wausau Lumber Company, which was engaged in the manufacture of shingles on Trapp River. After disposing of his interest in the shingle mill Mr. Parcher gave some attention to farming and also to mercantile interests. Early recognized as a man of sterling integrity and force of character, he was at different times tendered various public offices. He served as city assessor and as a member of the city board and later became postmaster, during this time conducting a general store. In 1891 he was elected mayor of Wausau and served until the spring of 1894, being twice re-elected. In his later years he kept up his interest in public matters but became independent in his political views. He was frequently called upon, as a representative man, to fill temporary civic positions along the lines of benevolence or public safety.
On June 12, 1865, Mr. Parcher was married to Miss Mary H. Single, a daughter of Charles and Elizabeth (Taylor) Single, who were natives of the county of Hertford, England. Charles Single, with his brother Benjamin, came to America in 1836 and they went to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, where they remained until 1844. They then made their way to the Wisconsin pineries, where they worked together for a time, after which Charles Single came to Wausau and built the Forest House for hotel purposes, on Third Street, of which he was proprietor until it was destroyed by fire in 1878. He served a number of terms in the city council and was a useful and respected citizen. He died April 30, 1880, at the age of 58 years, and was survived by his wife, and children as follows: Benjamin T., now deceased; Mary H. (Mrs. Parcher); Alice, who is the widow of A. L. Fitzer, a former citizen of Wausau; Josephine, wife of J. Baldwin, of Wausau; Henry, who resides at Antigo; Letitia, wife of Charles E. Dunbar, of Wausau, and Charles, who is a resident of the state of Washington. The mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Single, died at Wausau, June 24, 1897, at the age of 69 years. Mrs. Parcher is a member of the Episcopal Church. She resides in a beautiful home on Third Street and is a prominent member of the best society of Wausau.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs