Bio: Komers, John L. (1864 – 19??)
Surnames: Komers, Ringle
----Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens, by Louis Marchetti, 1913.
Komers, John L. (26 January 1864 – 19??)
JOHN L. KOMERS, proprietor of "The Leader," one of the large mercantile establishments at Wausau, has been in business in this city for the past twenty years. He was born at Milwaukee, Wis., January 26, 1864, and is a son of Joseph and Anna Komers. In the infancy of their son they moved to Grant County and settled on a farm and in 1872 removed to Muscoda, Wis.
John L. Komers secured his educational training in the public schools but left home when thirteen years of age, deciding to make his own way in the world. He found work on a farm and also in a store in the home neighborhood, then went to Dakota and worked there for a short time on a farm and finally drifted to Omaha and even as far east as Chicago.
All this time he realized that upon his own efforts depended his advancement in life and when he came to Wausau in September, 1892, it was with a definite plan of entering his present line of business. He established a five and ten cent store beginning in a small way in the building that he has occupied for twenty years, all of which he at present utilizes, including the basement. A general line of merchandise is now carried and some sixteen clerks and helpers are employed all the year round. He is proprietor of the business and has his brother, Joseph F., associated with him as manager.
Mr. Komers married Miss Pauline Ringle, of Wausau, and they have three children: Madeline, Lester and Paula. He has been an active and public spirited citizen and served two years as a member of the city council, representing the Fourth Ward. He is identified with the Modern Woodmen of America.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs