Bio: Hall, Lewis H. (1881 - 19??)
Surnames: Hall, Huffman
---Source: History of Marathon County Wisconsin and Representative Citizens, by Louis Marchetti, 1913.
Hall, Lewis (23 May 1881 - 19??)
LEWIS H. HALL, proprietor of Hall's Garage, at Nos. 131-133 Clinton street, Wausau, Wis., the largest establishment of its kind in the city, went into business at Wausau in 1906 and from the first has prospered. He was born on a farm in the town of Marathon, Marathon County, Wis., south of Marathon City, May 23, 1881, and is a son of Harman and Susanna Hall. Harman Hall was born in Vermont and came to Marathon County from there about 1854. Farming was his main occupation through life. During the Civil War he was a volunteer in the Union Army in a Marathon County regiment and served with credit during his enlistment of two and one-half years. After he returned to Marathon County he was married and continued to live on his farm until the time of his death, which occurred in 1899. His widow survives.
Lewis H. Hall was reared on the home farm until the age of eighteen years, in the meanwhile attending the country schools. He found himself more interested in mechanics than agriculture and went to work for the Ashland Iron Company and learned the blacksmith trade which he subsequently followed and operated a blacksmith shop of his own for a few years at Marathon City before coming to Wausau in October, 1905. For a little more than a year he was employed as a millwright for the Wausau Sand-paper Company here, but on April 13, 1906, embarked in business for himself. Beginning in a small way, in one room on the present site of the Palace Clothing House, his work was mainly the repairing of bicycles. Later he rented a second room and utilized that for a harness stock, which he had bought at a bankrupt sale and which he sold one year later, and continued in the same quarters until 1911, when he erected his present fine building. Here he deals in automobile supplies, carries a complete line of tires of reliable and modern make and handles the Chalmers, Kissel and Hupp automobiles. His business is extensive and is constantly expanding and he gives employment to from ten to fifteen men all through the year.
Mr. Hall was united in marriage with Miss Annie Huffman, of Rib Falls, Marathon County, and they have two children: Irvin and Evaline. He has business associations of various kinds particularly in his own line, and fraternally is identified with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America. Politically he is not active beyond attending to the duties of good citizenship.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs