History: Cadott, Wisconsin (1881)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
---Source: 1881 History of Northern Wisconsin, pg. 225.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF CADOTT, WISCONSIN 1881
This is a rapidly growing village on the south bank of the Yellow River, and on the Wisconsin Central Railroad, about fifteen miles above Chippewa Falls. The census of 1880 returns the number of inhabitants as fifty. At this writing, August 1, 1881, there are 500. Mr. Robert Marriner is the oldest permanent settler there, and is the Postmaster. He built a flour mill there fifteen years ago, now run by Marriner & Lockwood. It supplies the local trade. The capacity of the mill is—surfacer, 50,000 feet per day; matcher, 10,000. Cummings is also a contractor and builder.
Melester & Clark, spoke and hub factory, employ eighty men, using oak and birch woods. A flouring mill built seven years ago is now owned by E. B. Luce. It has two run of stones.
Steam Saw Mill, Howeison & Wetherlee. There is also a tannery across the river.
There are in the place three general merchandise stores, one flour and feed store, one drug store, one hardware store, one gunsmith, one boot and shoe store, two blacksmiths, two hotels, one physician, and other concomitants of a thriving village.
In the vicinity is an enormous amount of hard wood. Manufacturing.—Planing, sash, door and blind mill, Mathew J. Cummings, employs from twelve to fifteen hands. Is run by water ten hours a day.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs