History: Auburn, Wisconsin (1881)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
---Source: 1881 History of Northern Wisconsin, pg. 224-225.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF AUBURN, WISCONSIN
The settlement in the town of Auburn was made in Cook's Valley. In May, 1858, Zerah C. Willis and Jacob Cook each entered or pre-empted 160 acres on Section 28, in Town 30, Range 10 west. The following Spring, Mr. Willis broke the first ground on his land, which he now occupies. William Saves came into the valley in July, and erected a cabin, and two weeks later John Emerick took land and commenced breaking, turning over sixty-five acres of sod. Mr. Willis plowed forty-five and Mr. Saves twenty-five acres. William C. Miller was the first Postmaster, his commission bearing date July 23, 1870. Mr. Miller resign ing, Z. C. Willis was appointed his successor, June 8, 1871, and held the office until December, 1877, when he resigned, moved to Juneau County and pre-empted the land upon which the village of Elroy now stands. Here Mr. H. learned the trade of miller. His health being poor, he quit his trade for four years and engaged in farming. In 1872, with his father, James Hutchinson, he purchased the Eagle Prairie Flouring Mills. Mr. H. was married March 31, 1876, to Miss Mary Jordan, of Elroy, who was born in Milwaukee, Sept. 27, 1851. They have four children: Guy Edward, Alta Allison, Orrin E. and James E. Hutchinson & Son is the style of the firm. The junior member has the management of the mill. The mill has four run of
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs