History: Merrillan, Wisconsin Post Office
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
----Source: Banner Journal (Black River Falls, Jackson C0), August 6, 1969, page 7
Merrillan Post Office in New Building † † The Merrillan Post Office equipment has been moved from the Purnell building into the newly constructed office building on the northeast corner of Loomis and Main Streets.
Several pieces of new equipment have been furnished by the government according to Postmaster Rodney Helbling. They include over 200 lock-boxes, writing desks in the lobby and money order-stamp area, safe, desk and chair, and file cabinets.
A glass door separates the entrance lobby from the money order and stamp lobby.
Many moves † This is the 10th time the location of the Merrillan Post Office has been moved in its 99-year history.
The Post Office here was established on Oct. 20, 1870, with James L. Loomis the first postmaster. The office was located in the Merrill & Loomis General Merchandise Store on South Main Street. U. S. Highway 12 is now routed over the site. When Merrillan citizens requested a post office the government officials misinterpreted the spelling of the village name and it was recorded as Merrillan. This was not corrected until April 2, 1894 while Mike Cannon was postmaster.
Loomis remained postmaster until 1883 when a petition was circulated to have him removed as some citizens felt he had held the office long enough.
Lewis B. Johnson, who had been the chief promoter of the petition to remove Loomis, was appointed postmaster on June 4, 1883. Johnson moved the office to his store on the east corner of Charles and Main Streets, where Peteís bar is now located.
Attorney Joseph Roy became postmaster on June 8, 1886 and he moved the office across the street to the Stilwell building, now Maeís Corner Store. Roy served one year and then he received a government appointment in Washington, D. C.
D. M. McCormick was the next postmaster, receiving his appointment on March 21, 1887. He moved the office one door south into the Andrew Eid Grocery Store.
Edward J. Austin followed as postmaster on October 25, 1889 and continued the post office in the Eid building.
Michael P. Cannon received his appointment on June 30, 1893 and moved the office into his building across the street. This building later served as the village, barber shop for many years and was razed in June of this year.
Cannonís brother-in-law, Oscar Merrill was the next postmaster, receiving his appointment April 27, 1898. Merrill moved the office to his building, located just north of the present Vivian Kearney building. Merrill died July 25, 1904 and his wife Anna was appointed to succeed him on August 4, 1904. She continued to serve until June 29, 1919 when Carl Reichenbach became postmaster.
Reichenbach moved the office to the building which had been the post office during Lewis Johnsonís term.
Oscar Rickard was the next postmaster, receiving his appointment in November 1933. Rickard moved the office into his building three doors south of the Reichenbach building. This building (Rockardís) is now the American Legion Hall.
Rickard served until 1947 when Rodney Helbling received his appointment. Helbling continued the office in the Rickard building for two years and then moved across the street into the Purnell building, the former Syd. Brown Jewelry Store.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs