Bio: Engel, A. J., Pastor (1901 - 1971)
Poster: R. Lipprandt
Surnames: Albrecht, Engel, Meyer, Pape
----Source: The Centennial Booklet of Immanuel Ev. Lutheran Church, 1876 - 1976, page 33
Engel, Alphonse J. (April 14, 1901 - August 7, 1971)
Pastor Alphonse J. Engel was born near Montrose, Minnesota, on April 14, 1901.
He was the son of Pastor and Mrs. Julius Engel and attended Dr. Martin Luther College in New Ulm, Minnesota, Northwestern College in Watertown, Wisconsin and the Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.
Pastor Engel was ordained on July 8, 1928 at St. Markís Lutheran Church in Lebanon Township, near Ixonia, Wisconsin and served there until 1929.
In 1929, he accepted a call to St. Johnís Lutheran Church in Pardeeville, where he served until 1948.
Our congregation directed a call to Pastor Engel in 1948, which he accepted and served here until 1963.
A new Wicks pipe organ was purchased during the pastorate of Pastor Engel. It was dedicated on January 23, 1951. Professor Martin Albrecht of Dr. Martin Luther College, New Ulm, Minnesota preached the dedicatory sermon, based on 1. Chronicles 16, 7-13.
During the service, the congregations organist and principal of Immanuelís Christian Day School, Mr. W. A. Pape, presided at the organ. In the evening, an organ concert of sacred music was given by Professor Martin Albrecht. George F. Meyer, chairman of the organ committee and owner of radio station WIGM, made arrangements to broadcast the concert, giving an opportunity to hear the beautiful and pleasing tone of the organ, acquired at a cost of $7500.00.
In 1954, a new school building was constructed and used at the beginning of the fall term of that year
In 1963, Pastor Engel accepted a call from Immanuelís congregation in Waupaca, where he served until his retirement in late 1970. Pastor and Mrs. Engel continued to make their home in Waupaca until the Lord called him on August 7, 1971.
Mrs. Engel continues to reside in Waupaca.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs