Bio: Smith, Platoon Sgt. Oliver L. (Retired - 1967)
Contact: Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon
Surnames: Smith, Bock, Pratt, Hostrawser, Gardner, Waller, Paul Hicks, Tande
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI) 2/23/1967
Smith, Platoon Sgt. Oliver L. (Retired from National Guard - 1967)
Platoon Sgt. Oliver L. Smith of Merrillan retired from the National Guard February 14. He had been a member of the Black River Falls unit since it was activated on March 14, 1950.
He is the first of the original members to retire. Only four charter members remain with the unit. They are: Platoon Sgt. Raymond Bock, who is unit administrator; Platoon Sgt. Robert Pratt; Platoon Sgt. Allen Hostrawser and Staff Sgt. Edward Gardner. Capt. Naire O. Waller, also a charter member, is now serving as a staff officer with headquarters, 105 Cavalry, at Sparta.
Two other members of the unit have retired, but they were not charter members. They were S/Sgt. Clarence Paul and S/Sgt. Francis Hicks.
Each retiring member is presented with a $20 check from the unit as a farewell token of appreciation.
Sgt. Smith served on active duty from September 23, 1942, to February 14, 1946, with the army air corps, serving 10 months in the Asiatic-Pacific theatre. He was discharged from active duty on February 14, 1946, and enlisted in the air corps reserve. He served as an inactive member until enlisting in the National Guard at Black River Falls.
Sgt. Smith served from October, 1961, to August, 1962, at Fort Lewis, Wash., when the 32nd division was called to active duty during the Erlin Crisis.
For the last 20 years Sgt. Smith has been employed by the Green Bay and Western Railroad. He is currently a Fireman’s helper, with headquarters in Wisconsin Rapids. He is married to the former Gloria Tande, and he and his wife have two daughters, Loetta and Jackie. He is the son of Mrs. Valda Smith of Black River Falls.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs