Church: Granton German Lutheran (Dedication - 26 Nov 1905)
Surnames: Howard, Fiebke, Morris, Gereke, Brandt, Brem, Sternitzky, Konshak, Moh
----Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., Wis.) 11/24/1905
The German Lutheran congregation of Rev. Gereke’s parish have just completed a handsome church home, to be dedicated next Sunday, Nov. 26. The church has been built from plans made by the Radford Co. of Riverside, Ill., at a cost of about $5,000. The building is 52 x 66 feet in dimensions and is constructed of the well-known Menominee brick on a stone foundation. F.R. Fiebke of Neillsville had the contract for its erection, beginning work in May; Clare Morris and W.R. Howard did the brick work which was completed some 2 months ago. It has two main entrances to the main auditorium, one on the south and the other on the west. The main floor has a considerable seating capacity which can be readily increased by throwing open folding doors to a classroom 24 x 26, in the front part of the building. In the rear of the auditorium is the altar, the pulpit and platform, with a door opening off on the east side of the platform into the vestry or minister’s study, a delightfully lighted, cozy apartment; while off the northwest corner of the auditorium a door opens into the ladies parlor, a quiet nook for the mother attending church with her babe. The organ and choir gallery are on the west side with entrance thereto by means of stairs starting at the southwest corner of the auditorium. The basement is used for heating apparatus, the whole building being heated from the furnace there. The handsome altar in the rear of the auditorium is of white enamel with gold trimming, the pulpit and the seats are most beautiful things in antique oak. The seats are arranged in the manner of a semi-circle around the platform is nicely carpeted, the isles of the church are covered with neatly laid matting. The interior is yellow pin in natural finish, handsome hardwood floor all through the building. In the center of the upper half of each of the windows is a colored light, materially adding to the beauty thereof. The main style of the exterior is Gothic, a 45 foot tower graces the edifice. Upon the occasion of the dedication next Sunday morning public services will be held, at which time Rev. Brandt of Neillsville and Rev. Brem of Augusta will be here to assist Rev. Gereke. The cornerstone for this church was laid the 3rd Sunday in June, since which time the erection of the edifice has been watched with much interest and now the invitiation is extended to all through Rev. Gereke, the pastor of the church, and Messrs. Henry Sternitzky, David J. Konshak and Louis E. Moh, the trustees there of, to attend the dedication exercises next Sunday. Religious services will begin at 10 o’clock a.m., a 12 o’clock dinner will be served in the old church building to all at the rate of 15 cents per head, and at 2 o’clock p.m. the dedicatory service begins.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs