Church: Neillsville - Calvary Lutheran (5th Anniv. - 1962)
Surnames: Hesla, Appleyard, Dorski, Olson, Naedler, Jordahl, Tanner
----Source: Clark County Press (Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) July 12, 1962
Calvary Lutheran (5th Anniversary - 15 July 1962)
The fifth anniversary of the organization of Calvary Lutheran Church will be celebrated July 15, at a 9:30 a.m. church service and by a coffee fellowship later. The Rev. Otto E. Hesla, of Dallas, Texas, director of South Central region for missions of the American Lutheran Church, will deliver the sermon. The Rev. Mr. Hesla was one of the mission workers who assisted in founding the Neillsville church.
On July 1, 1957, the congregation was officially organized, the constitution was adopted and officers were elected. On July 14, 1957, 89 people signed the charter. The church has grown in five years to a total of 280 members.
First step toward establishment of the church was a letter written by Melvin Appleyard in February, 1955, to the director of home missions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. This letter requested the establishment of a church in Neillsville. Then followed a meeting with the regional director of home missions and the appointment of a planning committee, consisting of Thomas Dorski, Melvin and Fred Appleyard, Kenneth Olson, Hilbert Naedler, James and Charles Jordahl; the call of the Rev. Idar Tanner of Oconomowoc to be the first pastor; the construction of the parsonage on a four-acre tract given by the Hilbert Naedlers; the first service in the Adler Theater March 10, 1957, with 80 present; the first Sunday school the following Sunday, with 17 children.
Ground was broken for the new church June 23, 1957. The first service was held in it February 23, 1958.
The Rev. Mr. Tanner died in April, 1960, and was succeeded by the Rev. E. G. Burtness.
In 1960 three Lutheran Churches were united nationally, namely: United Evangelical Lutheran, American Lutheran and Evangelical Lutheran into what is known as the American Lutheran Church. This new name will presently appear on the sign in front of the church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs