Bio: Waterman, William G., Sr (Military service - 9 Oct 1913)
Contact: Ann Stevens
Surnames: Waterman, Borum
----Source: Neillsville Times (Neillsville, Clark County, Wis.) Oct 9, 1913
Waterman, William G., Sr. (autobiographical account of military service - 9 Oct 1913)
Last summer the following autobiography was written by Wm. Waterman, Sr., and contains a list of memorable battles in which the deceased took part during the Civil War.
Wm. G. Waterman was born in Staplush, Kent County, England, May 16, 1840. Came to America with his parents in 1847, living in Waterville, N.Y., two years. Moved to Petersburg, Va., January 6, 1850, living in Virginia all through the war. Joined Company "C", 41st Reg. Va. Infantry in 1859, the first soldier that left Pittsburg for the war. Was in the battles of Bull Run, Chickahominy, Seven Pines, Gaines Mill, seven days fight before Richmond, Malvin Hill, Fair Oaks, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, Wilderness, Winchester, Chancellorsville, Harpers Ferry, Gordensville, Oring Court House, Cold Harbor, Gaines Station, Strasburg, Harrisonburg, Manassas, Hanover Church, Savage Station, Harris Landing, Blowing up the fort at Petersburg, the Muldon Railroad, Yellow Tavern, Five Forks, the retreat to Appottamattox Court House and the surrender on Sunday morning at 9 o’clock, April 9, 1865.
Was shot twice in the left arm in the battle of Melvin Hill, and had the arm amputated. While on furlough at that time he was married May 3rd, 1863, to Miss Pauline A. Borum, in Prince Edward Co., Virginia.
Served in Mahon’s Brigade, Anderson’s Division, Longstreet’s Corps and General Lee’s Army. Moved from Virginia April 25, 1867, to Sycamore, Ill.; stayed the summer and came to Clark County September 16. 1866, living in the town of Grant until about September 30, 1913
[rest of the article is unavailable for transcription]
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs