BioA: Degener, Mr. and Mrs. Albert (57th - 1958)
Contact: Dolores Mohr Kenyon
Surnames: Degener, Carlton, Walter,
Thrun, Lang, Knoop, Hemp, Campman, Prust, Walk, Gibson,
----Source: Clark County Press
(Neillsville, Clark Co., WI.) February 6, 1958
Degener, Mr. and Mrs. Albert
(57th - 30 January 1958)
Fifty-seven years of marriage was
celebrated Thursday, January 30, by Mr. and Mrs. Albert Degener, at
their residence at 24 Grand Avenue Neillsville. The evening
of January 30, 1901, the Rev. Mr. Thrun, pastor of St. John’s
Lutheran Church, Neillsville, officiated at the marriage of Albert
Degener, son of Mr. and Mrs. Frederick Degener, and Hulda Carlton,
the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Walter.
The ceremony was performed in the St.
John’s Lutheran parsonage at the corner of 4th and
Oak Street, which is now occupied by the Rev. and Mrs. Alfred
Schewe. Attendants were the bride’s sister, Melvina, now Mrs.
Max Lang of St. Paul, Minn., Arnold Knoop, Frank Hemp and Miss
Bertha Campman (who a few years later became the wife of Frank
After the ceremony, the newlyweds took
the midnight train to Chili, where an apartment had been provided
in the rear of a building owned by Henry Prust. It was in
this Prust building at Chili that Carl and Paul Walk of Neillsville
had opened a store in May, 1900, and Albert Degener was assigned to
manage the store.
In 1904 Mr. and Mrs. Degener purchased
the Tom Gibson Hardware Store which they operated in Chili until
1926, when they moved to Neillsville.
After 57 years of marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Degener still enjoy good health.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs